1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dramatic lost of MPG and then all of a sudden back to normal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by sweiser123, Jul 7, 2013.

1. sweiser123

sweiser123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This started in my 2008 Prius at 99,000 miles. Dealer test drove it, put on the computer, everything was normal. Had the Spark plugs replaced. Mileage did not improve. a few days later mileage jump back to normal. At the low, 39-40 at normal 43-45. This continues to go back and forth betwwen the good mileage and the bad mileage. Currently I have 101,500 miles. Has anyone heard of this and is there a solutuion

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Very hard to know without more info, but that difference is probably small enough to be accounted for by differences in weather conditions and aircond usage.

3. sweiser123

sweiser123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five

I live in South Florida, So it's constintly A/C. I drive the same route and I drive to maximize mpg

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe a bad tank of gas? Did you happen to fill up before mileage returned to normal?

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have to say, we need a clearer definition of what is happening here.

I don't know what you mean by Dealer test drove it, put on computer. Do you mean it was checked for codes or problems at the dealership?

If the dealership is giving it a clean bill of health...

Then my next question is what is your OVERALL MPG per tank? Not trip to trip.

Because I have found that my trip to trip can vary greatly. On a nice weather day, I can take a trip mostly dominated by side streets and end the trip with a ridiculously high (but great) MPG reading. I've turned the Prius off, and because the trip was mostly dominated by battery travel had MPG ratings in the 80's and 90's.

I've also found that if I'm doing a short trip without The Prius having been warmed up and/or when the battery is low, I can end the trip with a MPG rating in the 20's.

I don't worry about either MPG reading. What I watch is what my MPG per tank is doing.

Then my final question....You only have 2 posts on Prius Chat...so are you new to ownership? Or have you owned this vehicle a long, long time and thus KNOW this behavior isn't normal?

Because rather extreme variations in MPG from trip to trip can happen, that can be normal. If you are finding your MPG dropping drastically on a tank per tank basis....then you might want to start going through the steps of checking everything from tire pressure to your 12 volt battery.

6. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    With any electrical or other weird issues with the Prius, always suspect the 12V battery until that possibility is eliminated. Get the voltages with the method in this thread and report them back here just to eliminate this as a cause. Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

The procedure works using just the parking lights instead of the headlights.

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Without knowing the full history, it is hit or miss what the real answer is. The OP is not giving sufficient information to help evaluate if there is a problem.

Remember the Gen II has the infamous bladder, therefore the MPG will vary. What really matters is overall mileage over "several" tanks of fuel.

It would help if the OP would fill out the questionnaire that is linked below.

Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new | PriusChat

Ron

8. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Could the dealer have disconnected the 12 volt battery while working on the car?