1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DRASTIC increase in engine noise - pump?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 1enigma1, Mar 14, 2010.

1. 1enigma1

1enigma1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not so sure if this is the pump after all, as the discussions on TSB issued prior covering this model (2005) and the audio files uploaded by others do not seem to be similar to the noise I am noting here (though I do think the TSB is applicable to me anyway as I recall hearing the noise a lot this winter).

That said, I am unsure where the noise is originating from. The basics:

1. The noise does not seem related to the HVAC system (continues when HVAC is disabled)
    2. The noise does not seem to be related tot he Hybrid drive (when engine is off, the noise is off)
    3. The noise continues after the engine shuts off, but stops shortly after
    4. The noise is at least 5 times louder than the expected noise from the engine - enough to be very noticeable from 30 feet away. In fact, this drowns out the actual engine noise - which is barely audible in the attached recording.

Really sounds like the coolant pump is about to die, but I am open to suggestions here... I have about 74k miles on the car at this point (a real bummer as if I had known about the TSB, I would have had the pump replaced under warrantee 15k miles ago...).

Attached Files:

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeesh! That almost sounds like something stuck in the cooling fan. With the car OFF take a look. If not I see a trip to a dealer in your near future.

3. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My guess is the valve train, the vibration is pretty loud, sounds a little like a neighbors lawn mower.

Whenever I hear strange engine sounds I like to open the hood and check it out, I live on the edge I guess. (Turning on a cold engine, set the heat on high temp, the engine will run until about 140 F is reached before turning off .)

It is something that should probably be checked out asap.

Additional way to force an idle from
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/idle.html
    [SIZE=+1]
    [/SIZE]

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NorthW. took the intended words right out of my fingers. Idle
    the sucker, and go up front to try and localize it.
    _H*

5. 1enigma1

1enigma1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I did localize it better, but the challenge is that it is really behind and below the engine - toward the passenger compartment. By chance does anyone have a diagram of the components in that region? I probably could pick it off of the diagram fairly easily.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rattly exhaust heat-shield bolt or other loose piece?
    _H*

7. 1enigma1

1enigma1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, just got the car back from the shop - got in the next day, fixed same day. Pricy trip, though.
    Turns out I was right the first go around - it ended up being a pump on the way out (and slightly leaking).

Purrs like a kitten now ;)