1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Draw-Tite hitch

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by RCMerlin, Jul 14, 2012.

1. RCMerlin

RCMerlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just installed a draw-tite hitch on my V and wanted to pass on my experience.
    The model was 24847 which Draw-tite says will fit 2010-2011 all models, 2012 except plug-in and the 2012 V.
    Overall: Looks pretty solid, once it all mounted.
    Things to look out for.
    1) If you buy it from Amazon, it will come dinged up because they basically ship it with no packaging. So some touch-up paint is required. Not sure if this is a Draw-tite issue or an Amazon one.

2) For the V, the instructions require you remove (and not replace) the right side tie-down bracket. If you want to re-install the bracket, you will need to grind off about 3/8 inch from the bracket to get the holes to align. If you don't care about the bracket, it the driver side install is easy.

3) Instructions have you remove the muffler (rubber holder) from the bracket, which would really have made the install easy. But removing the muffler wasn't working for me, so it was a little tight.

4) Need 17mm socket and offset wrench to remove parts, and 19mm to put new ones one. Go figure.

5) I installed it myself, two people would have helped, just because it is awkward to work with it upside down. Trick: support it on the passenger side with a box or jack, temporarily mount the driver side, firmly mount the passenger side, then finish up on the driver side (after 20 mins figuring out that the existing bracket needed to be modified).

Also. The receiving hitch sits about 1.5 inches below the bumper. Could have been a tighter fit but I guess that is what you get with universal parts (not custom made for a V). It does not hang lower than the muffler. Now off to get my carrier, probably should look for one with a raised/angled mounting bar...

drawtite 1.JPG drawtite 2.JPG

Overall installation took about 2 hours including painting the scratched parts and grinding the bracket, and of course struggling to get it to fit before figuring out that I had to do grind it.
    Hope this helps others looking to do this.