1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drcc help!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Blind Guy, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well I hope some of you have had the chance to go for an extended weekend trip, and have had the opportunity to play with your V's AT features.

I've been reading the Owners Manual in anticipation of receiving our V w/ AT within the next 12-14 days, and after reading on the DRCC I'm really confused!

When reading on the REGULAR (conventional) Cruise Control, it says to:
    "Press the On/Off Button to activate the Cruise Control".
    "Accelerate/Decellerate to the desired speed and Push the Lever Down to Set the speed".
    (It also mentions Pushing the Lever Up "Resumes" the Set speed and Pulling it towords you Cancels the Set speed).
    So far, this is VERY straightforward.
    In explaining the conventional Cruise Control, it makes NO mention of Pushing the Lever Forward!
    So I assume that in conventional Cruise Control, Pushing the Lever Forward has NO function.

NOW, the hard part (for me anyway)!
    Starting on page 218 and continuing to page 219, it begins by stating:
    "Dynamic Radar Cruise Control supplements conventional Cruise Control with the Vehicle to Vehicle Distance Control."
    It then says to "Set" the vehicle speed:."
    "Press the On/Off Button to Activate the Cruise Control."
    (just like you'd do for the conventional Cruise Control)
    (continuing on page 219)
    "Accelerate/Decelerate to the desired speed and Push the Lever Down to Set the speed."
    (that's identical to the conventional Cruise Control setting so far)
    Here's where it gets difficult for me to understand, it list BOTH the DRCC and the Conventional settings, and I can't distinnguish any difference between the two!

The REALLY confusing part is where (still on page 219) it talks about:
    "Switch to Constant Speed Control Mode":
    (which I also assume "Constant Speed Control Mode" is the same as Conventional Cruise Control Mode, since that would not employ the Radar System, and "switching" would mean switching from the DRCC back to the conventional Cruise Control Mode)
    "Push the Lever Away from you and hold for approximately 1 second."
    (why this is so confusing, is because of the statement on page 224, which states:
    (page 224)
    "Automatic Activation"
    "Each time the Power switch is switched to On Mode the Vehicle to Vehicle Distance Control Mode is turned On and set to the Long Mode."
    (i'm not sure I understand how it knows it's in DRCC as opposed to Contstant {conventional} Speed Mode)
    Here's the TOUGHIE, you know how earlier it talked about "Switching Modes", well, on page 224 it makes the following statement:
    "Switching Modes"
    "The Modes CANNOT be Switched to Constant Speed Control Mode if Vehicle to Vehicle Distance Control Mode has been used, the Mode also CANNOT be Switched from Constant Speed Control to Vehicle to Vehicle Distance Control Mode."
    (these two statement are self-contradicting, one says you can switch to Constant Speed Control Mode, and the other states you CANNOT switch from one Mode to the other???)

Someone with experience using the DRCC, PLEASE explain (in some detail) how the DRCC is operated, and how it functions (as far as turning ON/OFF the DRCC) and .
    Especially when and under what circumstances the Cruise Control Lever is Pushed Forward and held for 1 second, and what that REALLY does?

THANKS so much for wading through this long winded post!

David (aka Blind Guy)

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    David,

I'll try to make this fairly simple for you: Don't try to get the conventional cruise control initiated.

The default world is to have the DRCC as the cruise control. When you push the "On" button on the stick on the steering column, you activate the DRCC. The default distance is the "long" distance (as opposed to "medium" or "short" distances). There is a separate button on the steering wheel that you use to select the distance. This button is active only after the cruise control has been turned on.

It all works like a dream.

I suggest you simply work with the defaults until you are quite comfortable with the various options. The first option to work with is the distance separator. You have to understand that the distance separator defaults to "long" each time you power down the car. If you set the distance to "medium" but later turn off the cruise control, the distance will remain medium the next time you turn on the cruise control (unless you've turned off the car in the meantime).

I hope this isn't too simplistic a response. Please let me know if you'd like me to try something out during the next week or so.

Steven

3. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Steven;

FANTASTIC!!!

David (aka Blind Guy)

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've never even tried to use conventional cruise. Like a priori, I can't imagine a scenario where I would want conventional cruise. However, I read the manual and took it to mean that pushing the stalk away from me would put it in that mode, and that the only way to switch back to ACC was turn cruise off entirely and start over again. It then defaults back to ACC when you turn it on again, and as has already been said, to the long distance. It's really very simple and works like every other Toyota cruise control, with the exception of that extra switch for the following distance.

5. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    ggood;

THANKS, you have definately helped to clairify this issue.

THANK YOU!!!

David (aka Blind Guy)