1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dreaded rough idle or ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GasSaver1, Apr 12, 2013.

1. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Something strange happened on my way to work this morning. When I started driving after the car had been sitting all night everything seemed normal. I was in an apartment complex so the most I could go was 15mph but ICE turned on and off as the usual warming process and there were no alerts. As soon as Igot out of the complex I brought it up to about 40mph and I heard a "thump thump thump thump" that seemed to get quicker the faster I went.

I pulled over thinking I had a flat tire but everything was fine. I also looked under the car and in the wheel wells to see if anything was caught but there was nothing. When I got back in the car to continue on, the noise was gone. I had initially been in eco mode but switched to pwr and normal to verify there were no problems there. Not knowing what else it could be I checked oil when I arrived at work and everythign was fine there too.

The lowest it got last night must have been about 70F, humidity is pretty high.
    Anyone ever experience anything like this before or have any suggestions on what to check??

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would guess it was something caught in one of the wheel wells or something like that. Probably fell off before you stopped. If it doesn't reoccur don't worry about it.

I don't think it would be the "rough start" condition many of us have experienced, that shows up when you first start the car and is all over before you drive down the road.