1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dreaded triangle, then restarts after 5 attempts

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by IaintZWalrus, May 3, 2012.

1. IaintZWalrus

IaintZWalrus New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks,
    I bought a 2002 abt a year ago, and every 1000 miles I get the red triangle and the gas engine refuses to start. Initially it starts, then shuts down after a few seconds. Weird thing is, after the 5th or 6th attempt, the car starts normally and off I go. When I turn the key to "on" the check light goes on. This has never happened while I drive, only after the car has been driven and parked.
    Appreciate your comments, thanks.

2. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    might have been better if you had posted in the correct forum section... can't say I have seen the issue you're describing..

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is a very common problem in a 2001-2003. The throttle plate is sticking shut and needs to be cleaned.

2 people like this.
  4. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    1 person likes this.
  5. IaintZWalrus

IaintZWalrus New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a lot friends, I forgot to mention two small details:
    1) initiallly the engine spurts then dies, after the third attempt it starts but the triangle and the -hybrid system- warning lights remain, I have to turn it off/on a few more times for the car to get back to normal.
    2) When the engine starts after the second attempt a creepy grating noise is heard , seemingly from the rear of the car, then it goes away.
    Any clues?

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Engine "spurting" -- the engine is not actually running. MG1 is turning it over but there is no air to mix with the gas, so it will not fire. This will set P3191 and/or P030x codes. If you have a few successful restarts, then the codes will clear. The "grating" noise...that's interesting. It could be related to having unburned fuel in the exhaust due to the misfiring.

1 person likes this.