1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drips on the inside of my radio display?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JFrentzen-closed, Jun 22, 2012.

1. JFrentzen-closed

JFrentzen-closed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Second owner of my 2010 IV and I see where there's a few dried up drips on the inside of my radio display (stock non-GPS unit) and while it's not the kind of thing that keeps me up at night, if others have had this too and found an easy way to address it, I will too.

Any ideas?

2. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Without seeing the car it's impossible to tell. But I am guessing that someone tried to clean the display and sprayed something directly on the LCD cover and the liquid got behind it. That's why when I clean things like that I always put the cleaner on a soft rag, not a microfiber either, and gently clean it.

You are lucky that the fluid or whatever it was didn't short out the display or cause it to not work properly. I had a friend who dropped his police scanner in the bath tub. After he dried it out it still worked but the LCD was screwed and refused to show all the digits it once did. It never recovered from that episode.

Short of replacing the display I don't know what I can offer you. It would be great if there is an extra layer of plastic on top of the LCD and you could remove it and clean it, but that's doubtful.

My two LCD's have spiderweb scratches on them from being cleaned dry by the previous owner. <sigh>

Cheers :D

3. JFrentzen-closed

JFrentzen-closed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is is possible to pull the radio, remove the trim (so I can effectively wipe it clean) and then bolt everything back up?

4. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wish I knew the answer to that one. Maybe someone who has taken a radio out can offer some advice. On a Prius I can't help you, sorry.

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    All I can say is give cleaning it a try and if it doesn't work, you can pick another one up on eBay.