1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drive a Pri and save 3 1/2 hours each year.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Arizona Charlie, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Arizona Charlie

Arizona Charlie New Member

Generally it takes about 8 minutes to fill the tank in my Pri. This does not count the time that I would have to wait for a pump to become available at a busy station.

I average about 45 MPG in my Pri, driving about 12,000 miles per year. I generally fill the tank when the fuel gauge shows only one bar and the bar is flashing. This means approximately 27 fill-ups per year. In a year I spend about 3 1/2 hours at the gas pumps.

Take your average gas-hog mobile. It gets about 18 MPG and has a 15 gallon tank. I would probably fill the tank when I have driven about 230 miles. This means that I would fill up about 52 times per year and spend 7 hours a year at the gas pumps.

By driving a Pri I save about 3 1/2 hours per year, time I don’t have to be at the pumps and time I could spend with my family, or reading or whatever.

I don’t even want to calculate the amount of time I would be spending at the pumps if I were driving a Porsche Cayenne or a Hummer.

Arizona Charlie

2. xevious

xevious New Member

Whut in tarnashun's a "Pri"???

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    interesting way of looking at the time savings Charlie. at first glance i was thinking the savings were from regained wages due to lower fuel costs.

4. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a little "time saved" calculation on my Prius mileage spreadsheet:
    http://enerjazz.com/prius/index_gas.htm

I used 5 minutes and weighed against a 25 mpg car - but the time still adds up nicely. Since most people never seem to have enough time we should value it at $100/hr and include it in the payback calcs!

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sweet. Now we have to find something to do with those 3.5 hours :) Thanks for the info!

6. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Humm... I know what someone could do in BC with 3.5 hours... ;)