1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

drive does not engage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Paul R. Haller, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an ongoing problem with the parking lever. When I back up and stop and put the lever into drive, it often does not engage drive. I have to repeat the process until I can acctually travel forward. I notice this happens when I am not mashing the brake pedal. If I just lightly have my foot on the brake it will not engage into drive. It happens say, 1 out of 5 times. Anyone else have this problem?
    -Paul R. Haller-

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

What year? Early '04s (I think) had a defective brake pedal lamp switch. Maybe that is preventing the car from realizing you have your foot on the brake unless you "mash" it. There was a recall I believe.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Actually no, at least it hasn't happened enough times for me to notice it. Normally I just "bat" the lever and it's in drive.

I do, however, have a problem with going into reverse, which is why I still have the reverse beep on. :lol:

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I have something similar. If i'm stopped at a traffic light, and my foot is resting gently on the brake pedal, the MFD tells me the electric motor is still going, even though I'm not moving. I simply put more pressure on the brake...

5. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a May 05 production date, and I have had the problem since new. I also show that while stopped the wheels on the MFD show moving. Maybe its a poorly adjusted stop switch?!?
    -Paul R. Haller-

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think that's normal. At low speed (0~5mph?), the motor will drive the wheels to simulate automatic trans' slow forward creep. I too, notice the MFD showing motor driving the wheels if I don't press hard enough on the brakes.

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Yeah, I assumed it was normal too, that slow creep is awesome in traffic though!

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All of the above is normal... you just have to learn to apply a little more pressure to the brakes.

9. Brian K

Brian K New Member

My wife had a similar problem.

She called me from work to tell me that the Prius wouldn't go into drive. I asked some questions and she answered. I told her to put it into drive. "But it won't go in." she replied.

"OK, then call Toyota.". I've been down this similar road MANY times, heck ANY married guy has.... let Toyota handle it- one unadvertised advantage to the Prius.

I called back a few minutes later and asked what they said. "I don't know yet, he's going to call me back. I can't stay on the phone...". I hung up and called back a few minutes later. "What was it?", I inquired. "He told me to put it into drive.". "Did you?", I asked. "Yes" was the sheepish reply. :)

When I had questioned her she told me that the MFD was telling her it couldn't generate juice in neutral, so I knew what the problem was. The manual does cover this. The dealership was able to get through to her, it would have taken me MUCH longer and with oodles more frustration. I absolutely LOVE the Prius.

I suspect she was not putting the joystick against the stop, or maybe not pressing the brake pedal enough. I've noticed it when I just slap the joystick down and don't bottom it out and keep it there for just a moment.

10. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In my best Arnold voice....

"Use your puny leg muscles. You must have a tiny po-po!" :p

I've encountered all of the above at various times myself. The most common is the quick slap on the "gear" selector.