1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drive My New Prius or a Rental Car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gnagel, Jul 7, 2006.

?
  1. Take the Prius (it can handle it)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rent a Car for the Trip (for $235)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gnagel

gnagel New Member

I'm leaving for a camping trip to Rocky Mountain National Park in a couple of weeks. I was going to drive my new Prius. But, now I'm beginning to think that taking a rental car might be the better choice.

It seems to me that it might be more economical to spend $235 for a rental car (unlimited mileage through Budget) rather than rack up 2,300 miles on my Prius over just nine days. There is also the issue of some less than ideal driving conditions---gravel roads and so forth.

What would you do?

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd take the Prius. It can easily handle it, and you will save money on fuel costs which can add up pretty quick on those mountain highways.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take the Prius, just think of how much gas you could buy for the amount you'd pay for the rental. And what a statement to drive something so 'green' in one of the countries most beautiful reserves.

You'll have no issues with the Prius being able to 'handle it'.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's nothing more comforting than driving your own vehicle. Take the Prius, and if you're worried about mileage, use the other car more often lol.

5. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Take the Prius. I just came back from a 2300 mile vacation trip too back in May of this year. I had nothing but smiles on my face spending (at that time) between $18 and $22 for a tank. You may spend a bit more now but you will have the satisfaction of knowing not only how green you are but how much more green will be in your wallet. Just drive more carefully on the gravel roads. Enjoy the car. That is why you got it.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The low clearance on the Prius is not designed for gravel or dirt roads with lots of potholes and the like. If those are the road conditions you are going to be driving go ahead and rent a more appropriate vehicle. The Prius is great for long trips and paved roads but it is not built for camping.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OR, drive your Prius there, enjoying the drive and the savings, and rent a 4WD SUV closer to your destination. You may even be able to park your Prius in the rental car lot where it will be safe.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    last saturday/sunday we drove 1200 miles.

tomorrow/sunday we will drive anotehr 1200 miles.

over the week we've driven oh, 300 miles.

2700 miles in 8 days... and it ain't the first time. ;)

take the prius, screw the rental!

9. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

2700 miles gets me 23 days in my prius in normal commuting life(not 23 working days.. just 23 days). I think if you took a rental car, you'd be kicking yourself every time you get to the pump.

Over the 4th weekend we did a little over 1100 miles in 4 days. It's a good pace in the prius. I wouldn't want to do 15 hour driving days over and over... but 300 a day isn't too bad.

10. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I rent a car if I amd spending a few days in NYC or someplace else where there is a high probability of being damaged. otherwise I drive my cars as that is what I bought them for. The once exception is the Camaro and I did take it to NYC one time and they allowed me to park it next to the front door of the Marriot Marquis as the Valet couldn't fit in the driver seat. ;)

11. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Here is an idea...

I just heard the CEO from this company EV Rentals on the Radio the other day.

They only rent hybrids! What a great idea!

If you are worried about how your Prius would fare, rent one for this trip to test it out. That way you would know how yours would do on the next trip. (I don't think they have a location in your state, but I'm sure you can probably find a local rental company that rents hybrids).

12. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you take your Prius, since you mention GRAVEL roads- put black plastic rain gutter guard (via cable ties) on the front grill (near the fog lights). A stone into the grill , means new A/C condensor or about $750 (not covered by warantee- road hazard) and a search for a Toyota dealer when you have no A/C in 105 degree heat. ...

Otherwise we just did about 3,000 miles in 13 days- Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Arches, Mesa Verde (Cliff dwellers), Meteor Crater, etc. ....

......for only $158 in gas....

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 8 2006, 12:11 AM) [snapback]282895[/snapback]</div>
    This is the option I'd go for. You may not get the special rental rate you've negotiated close to home. Plus you'd avoide the rock chips and other possible damage on the gravel roads and other less than ideal road conditions encountered by camping. Best of both worlds and you really do want to take the Prius on long trips. You just don't want to off road with it. If you do go with this, be sure and ask the rental company how many people asked to rent the Prius.

14. fatale

fatale New Member

I say take the Prius. After all - you do want to see those glaciers, clean rivers and beautiful forests in the years to come.

This is why (most of us) choose to drive a LEV in the first place - we want to make a difference... and save on gas :)

I'm betting that 99% of the roads you will be on will be paved (North America is getting like this). For the other 1% - just take your time and enjoy the scenery. And if it is REALLY bad.. then I would be questioning driving on such a road in the first place :)