1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drive or not to drive with an hybrid error

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Luisbf, Jul 10, 2024.

1. Luisbf

Luisbf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys
    I know this probably is a very repeated topic, but I didn't find any topic with the same issue I have.
    I am travelling on vacation with my wife, and 1200kms far from home the hybrid battery failed.
    I have one cell with >1v delta from the others.
    The car is loosing power, cutting the A/C and after some time I see the battery is not used anymore, starting to have some dropping in the SOC. I was stopping when it was reaching 20%, erasing the error so the battery charges back even with the fault on it.

The question is: Is it safe ( or relatively not very high risk) to drive back home in this situation?
    I really don't have how to stop the car to replace the battery and my insurance don't cover the town truck back home that far.
    Another option is to order a couple or cells from eBay and replace it on the street. I did it before, have the tools with me and the only problem would be the waiting for the battery.

Have you seen anyone driving with the battery fault for some time?

Regards
    Luis

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I drove my generation too about 5,000 mi with the battery that was pretty much in the toilet

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, others have reported driving with a bad battery, even resetting the 12v every time they start if necessary.
    i remember having to replace a frozen brake caliper on my old fiat, at the camp grounds we were vacationing at in north carolina back in the day. no fun.
    all the best!

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It would be good for you to post the exact trouble codes being reported, so we can be sure whether the car is only reporting the >1V delta that you think is the issue, or know what issue the car itself is reporting.

The symptoms you report would also be consistent with overheating of the inverter.

5. Luisbf

Luisbf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure
    The codes are P0A80 and P3014.
    Actually the car is an Lexus CT200h 2011. IMG_20240710_141849_677.jpg Screenshot_20240710-140941.png

bisco likes this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Keep driving it. I mean if battery goes bad on the highway, and car fails to a sudden stop, the people who rear ends you will be at fault.

7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    You should be able to limp it back home. Just be careful on left turns into cross-traffic and merging onto highways; there's going to be intermittent delays in throttle responses and very slow acceleration. Push it too hard, the car will go into limp mode.

Good Luck....

8. Luisbf

Luisbf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all,
    I'm parking the car and taking the train to the rest of the trip, and for the way back I'll drive it back.
    Already have some battery modules going to my next hotel, but I'm not repairing it unless the car gets worse than it is now.
    I'll tell you next week how was the drive back.

Regards
    Luis

bisco likes this.
  9. Luisbf

Luisbf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday I drove 100kms to the train station and it was fine. Christmas tree on the dash, but didn't went to full inhibition of emotors, so performance was not that bad and battery was kept withing the normal range.
    I fell confident that it will drive back home safely.

bisco likes this.