1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driven Prius to Red Rock Lakes NWR?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kgall, Jun 18, 2011.

1. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone driven a Prius to the Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge, in Montana, about 40 miles of gravel/dirt road West of West Yellowstone?
    I'm planning to go there in a week or two.

I called the office, and they said it should be OK in a low clearance 2WD drive car, if there has been no recent big thunderstorm.

However, if there's been anyone who's actually taken a Gen III or II Prius there, I'd love to know how it was, and if you'ld do it again.

Thanks!

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have not been on that particular dirt/gravel road but I have driven my Prius(es) on others. Gen3 Prius has 5.5 inches ground clearance which is actually not to bad for recent cars.

Biggest threat is from other vehicles throwing rocks and gravel at you. Don't go to fast and watch for pot holes and big rocks and you will be fine. You might want to put the climate control in recirculate and the windows up when you encounter dust from other vehicles.

Sounds like a fun trip, have a good time. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    tumbleweed,
    Thanks. We're actually putting this part of our trip on hold for a while--our friends there (with a high-clearance truck) tell us of recent snows. We may try again in a few weeks.
    Everything you say makes sense--we have a sense of what we are comfortable with in the Prius after a trip to Big Bend winter 2009-10.