1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver Ergonomics mods ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by fwellers, Oct 23, 2007.

1. fwellers

fwellers Junior Member

Hello,
    I'm a new Prius owner. Just bought an 08 pkg 6 this past weekend.
    While I am most assuredly psyched about the car, it is not perfect .... yet.

The main issue I'm having, as I've read do many others, is the driving position.
    I'm in contact now with a Recaro rep to see about any choices I may have to improve the seat.

I think I could be more comfortable if I were able to tilt the seat back another notch. For some reason that seems to make my legs and feet feel like they have more room. The only problem is, that when I do that, I can barely reach the steering wheel anymore.
    So I'm wondering if there are any ideas, or if anyone has considered any mods to the steering wheel that would in effect, make it as if it were extended back into the cab a bit.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Peace,
    Floyd

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a wedge shaped 'space foam' cushion. I think this was designed as a lumbar support, but I use it on the seat bottom with the thick part of the wedge at the front edge of the seat to add thigh support. To me it makes a huge difference in my driving comfort and takes the stress off my knees due to lack of thigh support.

BTW, someone here did install a Corolla mechanical adjustable seat in their prius and documented the install very well. I'll see if I can locate that for you. I think someone's done the Recaro seats too.

There was this very nice solution too:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=24400

A good thread: http://priuschat.com/replace-seats-for-comfort-t9199.html

3. fwellers

fwellers Junior Member

Thanks for the reply Efusco. I hadn't seen the thread about adding the cushion. that idea is very appealing to me.

4. ddmarobbins@comcast.net

[email protected] New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fwellers @ Oct 23 2007, 05:29 AM) [snapback]529214[/snapback]</div>

Floyd

Congrats! I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I joined this chat forum only today, after seeing the listing in the New York Times Car section, and it was mainly to see if any driver had yet to solve the very problem you describe.

I have a 2005 Prius, and what you describe is my BIGGEST complaint with driving comfort. I added after-market leather seats (the cloth was trashed within 3 months) and lumbar support (inflatable gizmo, works great) as neither were available in 05, but I still feel like, to get the leg room I need (I am a 5ft 9 female person) the seat must be in the farthest position back and my arms are fully extended.

This isn't comfortable at all for a drive over 30 minutes long. I recently asked a dealer if the Prius would ever have a telescoping steering column (the Camry hybrid does) and he said maybe in the 2009 body revisions. Maybe not.

I'm actually thinking of driving with a small pillow in my lap, to give my arms something to rest on... It will be the one feature that makes me trade in my Prius soon. Sniff.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How are you built? Driver size makes a difference for how you adjust the seat. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I find the seat pretty comfortable. It's not the best I've had, but it's pretty good for me. I like to tilt the seat all the way up to its most vertical position, and forward to where my left foot can sit flat on the rest. Last Tuesday I drove 13.5 hours on the highway in that position, stopping only for breakfast, gas, and dinner. It rained the whole way with driving rain and poor visibility. Even following four days of rock climbing, I felt good the whole way.

Speaking of that trip, we drove down and back with four adults, four sets of climbing gear, clothes, and snacks for the trip. It all fit into the back, and no one complained about room Pretty cool.

Tom

6. fwellers

fwellers Junior Member

Tom,

I'm 6' 0" and a 32" inseam. I can get fairly comfortable with the seat all the way back, and tilted back a bit. The problem with that is, that when I tilt it back to where I'm comfortable, then my arms get tired from how far they need to stretch to stay on the steering wheel.

I can overcome that by moving the seat forward a notch at that point, but that's not too comfortable either.

Too bad, that it seems for me, the one thing that would work is a telescoping steering wheel. Aside from that, I'll wait until my wife gets her new car, before I consider investing in a recaro ( or other ) seat.

7. ddmarobbins@comcast.net

[email protected] New Member

Tom.
    Well, that 2 inches may make all the difference. My inseam is 32" and I'm 2 inches taller than you. That way-vertical position just doesn't do it for me.
    I'm sure there are lots of smaller people who fit very comfortably in the Prius. My 5'4" daughter has no problem at all with it.
    So, I guess my call goes out to the 5'9 and over set after all.
    Happy driving. And I agree about the cargo and passenger room. It's really excellent. Like I said in my original posting, I have no other complaints about my Prius. Just this weird arms-extended thing!

8. Jacqueline

Jacqueline New Member

I am a new owner of a 2004 Prius. I love it except for the REALLY uncomfortable drivers seat. I am 5'4'' but am short from knee to foot. the seat is designed too hard and digs in my thighs. Its either pull real close to steering wheel and head touches ceiling or further back, thighs are pushed down into hard seat. anyway, does anyone know of after market seats I can buy in San Diego or has anyone gone to an upholsterers and been able to change them?
    Thanks for any help,
    Jacqueline.