1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver seat bolts wont line up properly

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tesla Thompson, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Tesla Thompson

Tesla Thompson New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yesterday, my engagement ring fell off my finger and chairs one of the seats. I search and search with no luck. So I decided to take the chairs out of the car. Still not finding it. I give up and start putting the chairs back. I got the front passenger chair set back up, but the driver chair is a bit trickier.

The holes for the bolt wont line up. I lined up the front right one, and slightly screwed in a bolt. Pushing around the chair, I saw that the front left hole needs to move to the right an inch and the back left hole needs to move left and back an inch. Meaning, the chair looks warped! I thought perhaps it had something to do with tension and so I sat on the chair while my fiancee pushed the chair around, but to no avail.

Has anyone encountered this before? How the heck do I put my chair back?

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Toyota’s Repair Manual (more info) gives a step-by-step procedure for installation of the front seat assembly.

There are airbags in the seat, so be sure to disconnect the negative (–) terminal of the auxiliary (12 volt) battery and wait at least 90 seconds before doing any work. The Repair Manual has other important warnings about how to avoid personal injury or property damage when working on the supplemental restraint system (SRS).

For the seat assembly, in brief, you’re supposed to connect the connectors and clamps; temporarily install all four bolts; slide the adjuster all the way to the front; tighten the inboard rear bolt; tighten the outboard rear bolt; slide the adjuster all the way to the rear; tighten the inboard front bolt; and tighten the outboard front bolt. Use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts to 37 N·m (27 ft.-lbf.).

Next, you’re supposed to “check that the left and right adjusters move together smoothly and lock simultaneously”; reinstall the seat track cover or covers; reconnect the auxiliary battery; do a zero point calibration for the occupant classification system; and finally, inspect the SRS warning light.

Note that the rear inboard bolt—at least if you removed the bolts the Repair Manual says to remove, using an E10 (external TORX) socket wrench—goes through the seat track, but the outboard bolt goes through a plate to which the seat track is affixed, as shown in the Repair Manual illustration:
    B301347.png
    I hope you find it!

2k1Toaster likes this.