1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver side mirror...vandalised :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AAWADKE, Nov 7, 2006.

1. AAWADKE

AAWADKE New Member

:angry: Some b.s...d broke the driver side mirror on my dear car.(pictures attached) It was fine yesterday 10:30PM when i parked my car and today morning at 7:30 am i had a broken mirror. Amazingly there are no scratches on the mirror nor on the body. looks like some one held it by hand and broke it. I stay in apartment complex and there is no way it could have broken by a passing vehicle. Neways i will be reporting it to local police and also the apartment manager. I know its not gonna help much but atleast i will have a case if it happens again.

Now the fixing part:- I will need your help here
    I dont think so i will get to the dealer to fix it. Its still functional. i mean the motors still work. The wire sheath is cut and there is some peeling on one of the wires. The painted part is intact with no scratches. The body seems to be broken at the pivot point and it seems a unibody to me. so i might have to change the whole mirror case? I am not sure if the painted cover is seperate from the black mirror case?
    If anyone out there has replaced the complete mirror? or any mirror part? What is the expense i am looking at?? Will industrial grade super glue work?
    Please any ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    OUCH!! :(

I had that happen to my 1967 Mercedes. The mirror was broken and when I replaced it, the whole mirror was stolen.

My wife broke just the mirror part of her Windstar driver's mirror and the whole assembly needed to be replaced (about $450).

I'd say go to the dealer and get an estimate. That should help you on where to go next.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear about your mirror. Unfortunately, the replacement cost is probably very close to your insurance deductible.

I have replaced the painted cover before without too much trouble or expense, but you're looking at a whole new assembly, I fear. As far as I know, the plastic part that attaches to the car is not available without the innards, but it wouldn't hurt to check. It's possible you could find what you need at a wrecker's, just as a suggestion.

4. ambrothe

ambrothe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AAWADKE @ Nov 7 2006, 11:40 PM) [snapback]345232[/snapback]</div>
    The exact same thing happened to me the very first night I got my Prius. It was parked behind my friend's apartment near a college campus, and when I came out in the morning, the passenger side mirror had been broken off. Like yours, it was fully functional and broken at the pivot point. I took it in to the dealer and was told that I the entire assembly had to be replaced. I believe that the entire cost was around $250, but my insurance covered it since I carry a $0 deductible on comprehensive coverage.

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AAWADKE @ Nov 7 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]345232[/snapback]</div>
    That sucks, sorry about your car. I can't help much, but I do know that the "painted" part of the mirror is a separate part, snaps in, I replaced that after scratching one on a mailbox, and just that part was around $40 or at the dealer. I'm skeptical of gluing it back together, I'd take it to the dealer and get an estimate. If your luck is like mine, then it will be like $2 over the deductible of your comp insurance. Better luck!

6. pearlgreen

pearlgreen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AAWADKE @ Nov 7 2006, 10:40 PM) [snapback]345232[/snapback]</div>
    You can use quick drying epoxy glue. I used it
    on many of my broken mirrors. It hols up fine and you can paint the gule to your desired color afer it cured.