1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver side vent emitting hot air even when A/C is off?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 16PriusC, Jan 27, 2018.

1. 16PriusC

16PriusC New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    Bought my first Prius roughly 6 months ago. 2016 Prius C 1 with currently about 36,000 miles. Now I only really use the windshield defrost when needed and generally don't use the AC/Heater. Just recently I've noticed that when I place my hands near the vent on the driver side with the AC completely off I can feel hot air emitting out of it. Now, it's not in sense blowing hot air as if the ac/heater was on but more so just warm/hot air lingering. It's not audible neither. I have since tested the AC and when on it does work as normal and blows cold air as it should. Should this be a cause for concern or am I over looking it? This is my first Prius and I have been doing it's 5K + 10K (I commute alot) services at the dealer ship on schedule with no real issues to report according to the Mechanic aside from possibly replacing the tires within my next visit (4K miles from now)

Also, on a side note when I first purchase the vehicle it was prompt to kick in on hybrid mode where my MPG would kick off at 99MPG. Now it appears that it takes quite some time for it to kick in, I notice that it takes about 10-15 minutes of driving off the engine for the hybrid mode to work? Should this be expected as the car needs to essentially warm up first? I live in the Bay Area where it is often quite cold in the mornings upon the initial start.

#1 16PriusC, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it should be a source of concern.

It could be that the covering on that side of the vent has fallen off, or something.

Open the hood, and look at the exact position where the driver side be t is located. Check whether the covering there is covered.

Ha e you also checked the settings of the AC system?

3. 16PriusC

16PriusC New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the input. I did take a look under the hood and everything appeared to be in tact, although I may need to compare to a picture of a similar model. One more note I did run it at idle while the engine was running and did not feel the hot air, only while driving.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got a hunch it's normal. To clarify: when you say "AC off", you mean the ventilation system completely turned off?

I believe the system, when set to outside air (not recirculation) will "flow" air through as you're driving. Not using the blower, but allowing air through. It might be warmed a bit passing by the small coolant radiator within the system?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If the temperature is set to high, but you turn the fans off, it will still push warm air through the cabin.

6. 16PriusC

16PriusC New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    Thanks guys for the responses, I am reassured by all your input. Correct, AC completely off, although yes I can see how it can attribute to the fact I use the hot air first to clear up the windshield then completely cutting the unit off. I got a lot to learn about this car but thanks, that makes total sense that it can be the warm air circulating through the cabin. I appreciate it!

Raytheeagle likes this.