1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver Window Auto Control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hytec, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I replaced the 12V battery, and now the driver window auto-control no longer works.

I hooked a battery charger to the +12v lug in the fuse box and ground hoping to maintain all user-selected computer settings. When the new battery was installed and the charger removed, everything (BluTooth, Nav, Radio settings, etc.) appeared to have been saved except the clock. Though, the auto-control does not work. The driver window control now only operates in manual like the other three window controls.

Does anyone have an idea what may have caused this, and how to restore the auto function?

Thanks

EDIT - Solved..page 42 of the manual. Who would have thought to look in the Index under "Power"? I looked under "Window", "Switch", and "Control", but "Power"...gimme a break. :eek: LOL

HeadOfJarg and jtrosario like this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fact that the clock had to be reset and the driver's window auto function did not work is evidence that your battery charger did not provide 12V to the system while the battery was disconnected. This is to be expected.

Most battery chargers have a safety circuit that will disable the charger if it does not detect voltage produced by the battery. The voltage must be of the correct polarity and sufficiently high enough so that the charger thinks the battery can be charged safely.

Even if the battery charger did not have this safety circuit, it would still be a poor choice to provide 12V to the Prius. This is because the DC produced by a battery charger typically is very poorly filtered or regulated. A better choice to provide 12V backup would be a small 12V battery or a lab power supply which is both voltage and current regulated.

2 people like this.
  3. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Patrick, thank you for this information. I didn't know about the limitations of battery chargers as a reliable power source.

4. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW, if you manually run the driver's window all the way down, then all the way up three times the computer will "re-learn" where the limits are and the auto function will magically return. I read that in a post on here somewhere. I had the same problem then noticed it worked again - the post explained all.

jtrosario likes this.
  5. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks...shows I must do something about my impatience with automation...:embarassed:

6. almostrice

almostrice Atari Rocks

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the same problem when I put my 12v battery back in. Thanks for explaining why this happened.

7. Hopopotamus

Hopopotamus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced my 12v battery earlier today and window is working fine in auto mode, however when it's closed completely in auto mode it goes back down about 3-4cm. Now I have to roll it up manually. I know this car have safety but there is nothing caught between window and window frame. Hope this will go away. I looked in to manual and there was something about it but there is no fix for it in manual. Don't want to go to stealer.

P.S. This morning I was bragging on PriusChat that my 2004 12v battery was still good. That made me check my battery again and battery was bad ( 11.7v ) after car was running for about 40min so I picked up new battery from Toyota of Hackensack for $138.

8. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Cycle the window full up and full down 3times ithink is the fixfor that.

HeadOfJarg, jtrosario and Hopopotamus like this.
  9. justin time

justin time Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Patrick -

Most "consumer" battery chargers are rather low amperage, and one reason it's not recommended to use them to jump start.

Could this be a factor as well?

Thanks

10. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    On Page 42 of the 2005 Prius Manual, the instructions "To Normalize the Power Window" if the auxiliary battery is disconnected or run down read as follows.....

"1. push down the power window switch and lower the window halfway.

"2. Pull up the switch until the window closes and hold the switch for one second."

This operation worked fine for me after I replaced my 12V battery, so it should work for your 2004.

David_1 and timmyjane like this.
  11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The OP was just trying to keep powered up the volatile memory of various ECUs while the car was IG-OFF. The required current is ~30 mA, not counting any cabin lights that might be left on while you have the doors and/or the rear hatch open while swapping the 12V battery.

Hence I would say the the ampere rating is not a significant factor in the failure of the OP's attempt to use the charger as a backup 12V supply.

12. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Someone replied to my post when I had a similar problem after trying to use a charger for keep-alive power. The reply indicated that a charger requires a fairly large load like a dead or bad battery before it will provide any power. A charger can not sense a small load like 30ma, so it will not turn its power circuits.

Made sense to me.

13. DF Breezy

DF Breezy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The three up and three down trick worked for me. Computers drive me nuts. Thanks for the tip. I got my Prius used from a Toyota dealership but they still couldn't come up with a manual for me.

jtrosario likes this.
  14. Donald Queen

Donald Queen New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    3 times up & down didn't help, but this fixed my problem

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    $32.95 (but not the original press run). Or eBay....

-Chap

16. jtrosario

jtrosario Prius Pioneer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the tip, been having the window issue as I'm trying to resolve full power off issues. Now I know why Auto UP/DOWN came back yesterday.... 3rd time through a drive-thru :) Thanks for saving me the time and worry over thinking I had an intermittent electrical issue with the driver's window switch. Know what to do for next time!

17. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The backup beep resets also if you DC the battery. That applies if you had to changed to 1 beep by the dealer.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can get a "memory saver" cord, plugs into a 12 volt socket on a jump pack, the other end into the OBD port. They work well, typically have an indicator light: if either end is plugged in, it'll light, to let you know it's found voltage. This way you know you're good before you disconnect your 12 volt battery.

Here's one example. Not the one I have, but they're all pretty similar I think:

Memory Saver Cord - ESA30 | Call us at 1-800-328-2921 | Clore Automotive

19. DocDNA

DocDNA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks. The normal method of three cycles did not work. However the manual was correct.

20. David_1

David_1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We had this situation on our Prius 07 today. Halfway down and then back up, hold for a second!
    Thank you for the information!