1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver's floor mat worn through at 5000 km

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Mendel Leisk, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Vacuumed out the interior today, and I see the driver's floor mat is completely worn through, with 5700 km on the odometer, under 5 months since purchase. There is an area maybe the size of a lemon where the tufting is gone, and a small hole right through, at the centre of that zone. Basically where your right heel rests.

This is the OEM mat, supplied by Toyota: it is plain carpet, no extra rubber inset per Honda vehicles we've had over several decades.

Anyone else experience similar?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow... mine see fine after what 21 months. Are you fidgety? :)

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No holes in my Prius or the 2007 Lexus. What the heck are you doing burning a hole after only 5 months?

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's like wearing out shoes and pants, we're all different. I live in TX and ordered these from Canada while waiting for my car to come in. They are excellent. Thanks Tideland. Or just get one of those of the store here.

JudgelessView Public ProfileSend a private message to JudgelessFind More Posts by JudgelessAdd Judgeless to Your Contacts
    [​IMG] 09-06-2010, 03:11 PM #11 Tideland Prius
    Moderator of the North

[​IMG]

My Car: 2010 Prius
    Model: N/A
    Package: Technology Package (Canada)

Friends: 29
    [​IMG] Re: Question about 2010 OEM all weather mats
    Nope. Ours look like this... we have a double channel lip to catch water as well as a hexagonal shape to hold melted snow/ice and other crud.

[​IMG]

Part No.: PU320-47010-01

[​IMG]

2008 Deep Black smart fortwo passion coupé - sold (6.1L/100km)

2010 Blue Ribbon Metallic Technology Package 29/08/09
    OEM All-Weather Mats, Homemade Console Pads, LED lights, HID, OEM Fogs, Euro Mudguards, OEM Cargo Mat

[​IMG]

*I am not employed by Toyota, and the opinions expressed by me as a Prius Expert are not those of Toyota.*

Last edited by Tideland Prius; 09-16-2010 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Added part no.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Sorry to hear that. My 2010 has just shy of 47k atm and the mats supplied by the dealer are still like new.

I do have minor wear at the point where my heel hits the mat as my foot rests near the accelerator pedal, but minor, or acceptable wear, nothing like what you describe.

Roland.

6. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    mine has a wear spot from my driver's heal similar to the lemon size, too. I'll be taking it in soon for a last service before the 36K mile warranty is over. Wonder if that's considered a wear item or if they will replace it?

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Warranty does not cover wear and tear from use.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I noticed the carpet mat on mine wearing very quickly. I bought some Exact clear mats and put over the carpet mats. No more wear on the carpet mats and the Exact mats are fine, just a little discoloration where the heel rests.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It is kind of silly to protect the carpet mats when you can easily get new mats every few years, unless of course you're in the habit of burning a hole through them several times a year in which case it becomes too expensive.

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One set of Exact mats is cheaper than replacing the carpet mats multiple times. I do not see anything silly about that.

At the rate of wear on mine, I would have been replacing the mats at least once a year or so.

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Fair enough. In California weather, I can go for years without any significant wear in the mats. However, in worse weather I'd just swap them out for all weather mats just as people do with winter wheels/tires when the season calls for it.

12. ocblackpriusii

ocblackpriusii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the OEM mats are poor quality but your wear seems excessive. You probably had something acidic or caustic on your shoes.

13. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just passed 20K miles / 22 months, and no signs of wear here.

14. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IMHO, Japanese interior materials are traditionally rather shoddy. Plus, when something does break or wear out, they always blame the user, never the manufacturer.

Reminds me of a story from the War Between the States. Several Union officers noticed that their men's issue boots were falling apart in a matter of weeks. They complained to the quartermaster, who confronted the manufacturer. The manufacturer's response was that the boots were designed for use by cavalry troops, not infantry.

Get a set of all-weather mats, and be done with it.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With maybe 1/2 dozen Honda's we've had, starting in the early '80's, driver's mat (carpetted) always had a rubber (or faux rubber) pad, strategically placed where the driver's heel would rest. To be fair, these mats started to disintegrate around the 150,000km mark, after 5~6 years of use, but held up pretty good till then.

I think the decision to not put a rubber insert on the drivers mat, maybe coupled with carpet choice (maybe multiple suppliers of carpet: some responders have problems, others not), is the culprit.

I'm kind of choked that we're ready for a replacement mat set (drivers mat not available separately?), and what's the point: if the new mat is going to be toast in another 4 months...

I'm thinking to cobble together my own effing replacement driver's mat: the alternatives don't seem that attractive. :rolleyes:

I keep think of Ikea, and their stress testing of furniture: Toyota should do a bit of this? Seems similar to oil filter access flap breakage.

16. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've found similar but not quite at 5,000 km. I use the rubber mat on the drivers side and the carpet mats elsewhere.

They're pretty cheap to replace though.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Called service and they said to bring it in, they'll have a look.

I really don't see the point in replacing it with the same thing though. If that's the end of it, I'll probably make up something out of heavy duty entrance carpet material. I have some ribbed rubber matting that I can use for an inset in the driver's heel zone. Do it up right, using the OEM mat as a template, and put in grommets at the two hook locations.

Toyota owners are a resourceful lot... :rolleyes:

18. sevlillevik

sevlillevik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You know, I was wondering about my drivers mat the other day. I purchased mine at Schucks auto store. I cannot remember the price what I paid on it though, but it was cheap. It is made of plain black carpet. I have noticed that it is starting to wear out, where I put the my right heel. Even as I have been vacuuming it once a month it shows wear and tear. However, I have no idea what the normal length of time is that one of those floor mats lasts for. All of the others are fine.

That is very interesting that your mat is worn out after only 5700 km. My prius has 14,000 miles or around 23,000 km on it. It should not wear out after that little of time.

19. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Must be the spiked high heels you wear while patrolling the red light district. :)

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah geez, the open abuse starts... Actually, I'm mostly the pit crew, but my better half isn't much into stilleto heels either ;)