1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drivers Licenses for Illegal Aliens?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Nov 16, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Should we or should we not offer them drivers licenses? Interesting, after waffling for a week or two or more Hillary now says no. Obama says - well i could not tell from the debate last night but i think he says yes - boy i wish he, and she, could just answer a question with a simple yes or no once in a while.... without going home and conferencing and studying dozens of polls....

My opinion is no - not in any way shape or form. What say you?

2. roryjr

roryjr Member

I agree. No no no no no licenses for illegal aliens.

On the other thing. I applaud Russert. I wish everyone would demand an answer from candidates in a debate (democrats and republicans). There is too much talking and not enough answering. Berman, if you are not sure about Obama's answer, then he must have talked for a couple of minutes instead of saying yes or no.

3. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    as lou dobbs would say, "what word in <strike>illeagle</strike>, that would be a sick bird, illegal alien dont they understand...NO TO ANYTHING FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS EXCEPT A FREE TRIP BACK TO WHERE THEY CAME FROM

4. Washington1788

Washington1788 One of the "Deniers"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 16 2007, 07:44 AM) [snapback]540472[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed, no, no and no!

Mr. Blitzer was priased by the Clinton camp this morning as he should be given the fairly soft gloves he used with everyone on the stage.

5. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    An interesting dimension in this drivers license debate is that Mexico itself denies drivers licenses to foreigners who do not have valid visas.

Not legal? No Mexican driver's license for you

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("USA Today")</div>

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just to play devil's advocate, the upside of giving them all drivers licenses would be a nice long list for the INS to follow up on...

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    they're going to drive anyway, licensed or not, insured or not. that said, i don't think i would encourage it by offering a license to them.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    If you use your home / plane / boat / car, to further criminal drug deals, the government can seize the property. I'm having a brain storm! I'd bet it would cause a lot of OTHER types of criminals to pause and take note.

9. roryjr

roryjr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 16 2007, 09:51 AM) [snapback]540518[/snapback]</div>

I can tell you where a huge number of them is right now. Chicken, beef and pork plants. I go to different plants every week and they are full of them. Smithfield, NC has a huge pork plant and was recently raided and there were a ton of them there. They have to know these are the places where they are, but no major raids on the others. The Smithfield raid was just for show.

10. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roryjr @ Nov 16 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]540593[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you that the INS has to have better information than it does... unfortunately, however, our society has grown dependent on these illegal aliens. They are the ones that do the menial labor jobs that no one else wants to do in our elitist society. if the INS moved in and deported them all, we'd probably have major shortages, not only in meats, but also in harvests - food would rot on the trees/bushes/in the ground/trucks because there wouldn't be enough manual labor around to pick it all, or to process it. Now, i don't really have any good evidence to back that up (at least, i've never came across any studies oriented to answering the question of what would happen without illegal workers), and would welcome anyone with links :)

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 16 2007, 09:51 AM) [snapback]540518[/snapback]</div>
    genius - brilliant!

i am interested in the response here - i dont think the polls are accurate that indicate only 70% or so of Americans are against it - i think it is much higher.

12. roryjr

roryjr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 16 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]540603[/snapback]</div>

No. If they know INS is coming, they disappear for a few days. When they come back (either after disappearing or being deported), they have a new name. Why would they tell the truth on a driver's license that they don't need proof to get.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 16 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]540601[/snapback]</div>
    boy do you have a sour view of America. obviously the illegal aliens do not share your opinion.

my view is different -- illegal aliens artificially maintain an abnormally low wage on particular sectors of our economy - take them away and you will see the actual wage required to do these jobs. the artificially lower wages paid have a negative effect here in numerous ways - it keeps americans who are willing to work away from working at those wage levels, it artificially depresses income across the board in forcing those that dont employ illegals to compete against artificially lowered prices for similar services, etc, etc, etc

deport the illegals, let wages for services fall where they belong -

at the least - have a guest worker program like everyone else has.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The only reason undocumented foreigners are here is that business wants them, and consumers want the lower prices that come of cheap labor. If business was not actively recruiting cheap labor and hiring people they knew were undocumented, the inflow would drop to an insignificant trickle.

But to answer the question: As a strong proponent of human rights, I favor the right of every person to travel freely. Therefore I regard immigration laws as illegitimate. And so I would grant drivers licenses to everyone of legal age who can pass the driving test. However, I would make the driving test into a real test of driving ability. There are a lot of citizens behind the wheel who should not be given drivers licenses because they cannot drive a car safely, and there are a lot of people driving SUVs who are incapable of handling a vehicle of that size.

For a start, I would take the driving license away from any person caught talking on a cell phone or eating while driving.

15. roryjr

roryjr Member

Wasn't it Arizona where they made it a crime to hire illegals and all the illegals left?

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 16 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]540612[/snapback]</div>
    Right,
    It certainly NOT for the purpose of walking into any hospital for free emergency care ... or welfare ... or higher quality of victims to comit crimes against ... no, it's strictly the good reasons.

17. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 16 2007, 11:05 AM) [snapback]540609[/snapback]</div>

Of course, you're also ignoring the negative effects of a sudden crack down and deporting a significant number of them. Sure, you'll be able to get people into those jobs if you raise the wages enough - people will do anything for enough money. But what happens when the price of beef doubles or triples because of increased wages? I'll tell you what - either we suck it up, everyone pays more for their beef and, along with other items, we see a huge amount of inflation (definitely not good for the economy), or we trash our local economy and start importing from other places, like China...

Simply put, there's no easy solution for the problem we have now. You can call for deporting them all you want, but I for one don't want to see such a drastic amount of inflation or shortages for some items that would result. I think it's important to work towards correcting the problem, but i also don't think it's something we can reasonably fix anytime in the next 10-20 years - we'll only be able to slowly make it better if we start working on it.

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 16 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]540658[/snapback]</div>
    guest worker program.

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My instinct, to answer David's question, is to say "no"..they shouldn't have driver's licences. And I'll stand by that answer...with a "But"...

There's a lot of bile spilt about about illegals (Mexican illegals in particular). And while there certainly a number who are clearly part of the criminal element I firmly believe that the vast majority are good people looking for a chance at a better life right here in the country our forefathers came to in search of a better opportunity.

There was an episode of "30 Days" where an anti-illegal minute man spent 30 days living with a family of illegals. He traveled to Mexico in one part of the show to visit the former home of the family he was living with in the US. He got to know the children of the family quite well. For him, and for me, it made one point dramatically clear....
    If I were in their shoes I too would take the chance and come to America to try to give my family, my children, a chance at a life they could never otherwise have in Mexico. There's no doubt about it....and I think even Dr. Berman would not be able to deny that he too would seek out that better life for his family were he in the situation that so many destitute Mexicans are in.

I do not know what the best solution to the mess is, but making enemies of people who are looking not to drain our resources but to provide a decent livelyhood for their families isn't the way to do it. Some means of earning citizenship and legal status seems appropriate. Commit a crime and you're gone...forever. Work, pay your bills, pay your taxes, keep you kids in school and you can stay. Clearly the final solution will be more complicated than that, but until a reasoned solution is found I don't think granting priveledges like a driver's license is the right way to go, I think it simply invites more undocumenteds and fails to address the real issues.

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roryjr @ Nov 16 2007, 09:13 AM) [snapback]540613[/snapback]</div>
    I doubt it. It does no good to have a law against hiring undocumented workers unless you enforce that law, and the law will not be enforced because the people with the power (corporations) want the low-wage immigrants. And the politicos are not going to buck the real power of their backers.

They'll arrest a few, just to give the public the impression that they're doing something.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Nov 16 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]540631[/snapback]</div>
    There are criminals and freeloaders in any group. From the board room to the street, and in every nationality. But the vast majority of immigrants (and this applies especially to Mexicans, who have a culture of hard work) come here to work. And by the taxes which their employers withhold from their paychecks (and undocumented workers cannot file for a tax refund for the excess) they are paying for whatever services they receive.

As for people using the emergency room instead of routine doctor visits, this happens across the board because we lack a national health plan. This is not an immigration issue.

As I've commented elsewhere, it's a common tactic of the lunatic fringe to pick out a group they dislike, often a group that's politically powerless, and accuse that group of being all lazy, shiftless, criminal freeloaders. I have heard the bigots and know-nothings make this accusation against Blacks, Indians, and immigrants. Many other groups have faced these and other accusations. But what it usually comes down to is the desire to deny to others the benefits you yourself have received from living in a prosperous, industrialized country.