1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drivers Seat tilt

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by gaboy, May 15, 2007.

1. gaboy

gaboy New Member

Hi;
    Just bought a 2007 Prius Tour. Love the car but do not like the drivers seat tilt angle. The current non adjustable angle does not support the thigh area. This causes increased pressure on the lower back.
    I see several have complained about height or horizontal movement. Has anyone seen something to correct the tilt of the seat cushion?

2. bobc

bobc New Member

Hi Gaboy,

This was my big complaint with the seats, too. Unlike others who are taller, I'm OK with the amount of legroom. I was just missing the support under the thighs. I raised the front portion of my driver's seat to get more support.

There are two caveats with doing this. If you look closely at the front bolts that bolt the seat to the floor, these bolts are angled slightly. If you decide to raise the seat by putting some spacers between the seat and the floor, the seat will move forward slightly. The amount is insignificant and you won't notice the difference. The issue is that you have to enlarge the bolt holes that hold down the back of the seat to allow the seat to move forward. So, this may raise some safety issue with these rear holes being enlarged.

The other concern is by putting spacers between the seat and the floor, another safety issue may arise. In an accident, these bolts may be more likely to shear.

Both of these are just guesses on my part because I'm not a structural/mechanical engineer and don't have a clue about the amount of force, strength of the materials, etc. to envision how significant this all is.

In the photo below, I created these spacers out of aluminum stock that are 1-1/8" high. This is how much I raised the seat. To go this high, the seat moved forward quite a bit so, the holes for the back bolts are more oval than round. I created these spaces thinking that this may be better than a bunch of washers stacked on top of one another in the event of an accident. I purchased longer bolts that are hardened to aid in this.

Other things to be aware of: Even though the goal is to raise the front part of the seat, by levering the front of the seat up, the rear rises a little, too. So, if you're tall, this may be a concern.. Lastly, the bottom of the seat rail has this little lip. See the photo below. This means that if you were to put a washer underneath it, there is very little seat metal in contact with the washer. If you look at my spacers, you can see where they have been hollowed out to a certain depth so that this lip drops into the spacer and allows for more surface contact between the spacer and the seat metal.

As for just raising the cushion, I think this could be done also. It would take more work as you would have to fabricate something to fit between the cushion bottom and the springs and have new cloth made up by an upholsterer since the existing cloth wouldn't fit nor could its attachment points in the front be moved about to allow for the extra cushioning.

Attached Files:

3. gaboy

gaboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobc @ May 15 2007, 01:24 PM) [snapback]442520[/snapback]</div>