1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver's side arm rest

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cgraham, Apr 4, 2010.

1. cgraham

cgraham Member

guys, it's been a long time since I was here.

I find the driver's side armrest of my '06 is far too low for my comfort, and I don't like the low grip on the wheel it requires.

When driving L handed on long trips I rest my arm on the window ledge. If sleeveless, this becomes very uncomfortable after a while because of the deeply grained plastic.

I would like to install an arm rest on the door about 2" below the window ledge.

An alternative might be to have a trim shop install a piece of velour on the window ledge itself.

I didn't find any answers here. Has anyone a solution or a practical suggestion?

Or am I the only Hi-rider? ;)

Regards, C

2. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd suggest building an armrest that rests on the current one, with a strap that goes down into the armrest pocket, using the screw at the bottom to fasten it (think perforated strap used to mount the back of car stereos). Built properly, it would work with zero mods to the door.

I have a bad elbow, and have to use a gel wrist rest on the armrest. It constantly falls off, so I need to get around to sewing a cover for it that has a strap that fits under the pocket screw, so that even if it falls off, it won't drop to the ground.

OR you could build one that has 2 steel straps that hook over the weatherstrip on the inside. Cover the straps with cloth to avoid scratches on the door panel or glass. Will NOT work with window tint, though.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe you'll like something like this:

[IMGLINK]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/tolae_2101_231957996[/IMGLINK]

Auto & Truck Arm Rest

And this place also sells an automobile velor fabric covered one:

Truck and Car Padded Arm Rests

I think there may be a couple of more varieties made.

4. cgraham

cgraham Member

Thanks, guys, those are some good suggestions!

Boo, the second one you listed looks pretty good, and it's a no-hassle installation. I think the first might lift the arm even higher, and it's a little too high already.

I'll wait a bit and see if anything else shows up here, and also look on the 'net for those other models you mentioned.

Best regards,

Charlie