1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver's Side door leaks water

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by llsouder, May 16, 2007.

1. llsouder

llsouder New Member

Driver's Side door leaks water. I find pools of water in the door jam after a rain or washing the car. I looked at the rubber and compared it with the other doors but I dont see a difference.

Anybody else have this problem?

2. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

Maybe this is all part of the newest FEMA Flood Control Program. Now, with cars like yours, each time a vehicle leaves a flood area, it will take some of the water with it. Pretty soon, when enough cars have left, the flood is gone. Pretty cool thinking heh?

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(llsouder @ May 16 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]443264[/snapback]</div>
    Have you looked for a weep hole? Sounds like one might be blocked.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    are you talking about the painted surface inside the door jamb? because water will pool there... it is not sealed by the rubber door seal. if the carpet or upholstery inside the cabin are wet, then there is definitely a problem. but if it's just the painted surface inside the door, that isn't sealed off.

5. jeremyandmelissa

jeremyandmelissa New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My wife and I just had this problem this morning! There was a tremendous thunderstorm for about four hours this morning. Around 1 o'clock she discovered pooled water on the passenger side of the vehicle. Wth? This is an '04 still under warranty. We bought this car used a couple of weeks ago and this problem was never mentioned, but it most likely never occured before given where the car was parked and how it was generally.

The water has come up from underneath the vehicle, not from the doors or leaky windows. Any hints?

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Bransons @ May 20 2007, 05:33 PM) [snapback]446341[/snapback]</div>
    Don't discount water infiltrating from the windshield/vent area.

The windshield/vent drain holes (2) are very small and easily clogged. I think this is a design flaw in that it is VEEEERRRRRYYYYY easy for them to clog. I can easily imagine a severe downpour overfilling the reservoir and spilling into the fresh air vent intakes and onto the floors.

There are usually several signs that the drains are clogged:
    1) The sound of water sloshing coming from the front of the car when you are in a turn.
    2) A musty smell coming from the vents when "fresh" air is selected. (um . . . this may be hard to differentiate in hot humid areas.)
    3) Water slowly dripping from just behind one or both front tires.

I wrote a how to repair post about this earlier - the pictures are no longer there, but you should be able to figure out how to check and fix.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=22839

7. jeremyandmelissa

jeremyandmelissa New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What we have is more water on the floor of the back seat, passenger side. It seems to be collecting around the stereo's amplifier underneath the front passenger's seat. There is no water or damp upholstery on the walls of the vehicle (behind where the pedals would be if they were on the passenger's side) or on the 4 or 5 inch wall to the right of a backseat passenger's right foot.

It's a bit of a mystery to us. We can't get below the car (it's still wet outside and we have no garage) to check it out.

Luckily we bought this car used but it's still under warranty. I think our local dealership will get a call first thing in the morning.

Is it even possible for water to come up through the undercarriage? It doesn't seem likely to me, but there is also no other evidence of water seeping in from anywhere else.

Confusing. . . . . .

We'll give your stuff a shot anyway though, do you still have those pictures by any chance?

What we have is more water on the floor of the back seat, passenger side. It seems to be collecting around the stereo's amplifier underneath the front passenger's seat. There is no water or damp upholstery on the walls of the vehicle (behind where the pedals would be if they were on the passenger's side) or on the 4 or 5 inch wall to the right of a backseat passenger's right foot.

It's a bit of a mystery to us. We can't get below the car (it's still wet outside and we have no garage) to check it out.

Luckily we bought this car used but it's still under warranty. I think our local dealership will get a call first thing in the morning.

Is it even possible for water to come up through the undercarriage? It doesn't seem likely to me, but there is also no other evidence of water seeping in from anywhere else.

Confusing. . . . . .

We'll give your stuff a shot anyway though, do you still have those pictures by any chance?

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Bransons @ May 20 2007, 09:47 PM) [snapback]446445[/snapback]</div>
    I can no longer find the pictures, sorry. I remember hearing sloshing after I washed the car this week, so I just went ahead and did the easy to do left side cleaning. It only takes about 5 minutes.

1) Open the hood.

2) On the upper left side (for USA and other left hand drive models) is a vent access cover. It is easy to open with just a finger nail, key or any semi sharp object.
    [attachmentid=8186]

3) This is what it looks like open.
    [attachmentid=8187]

4) This is what the drain looks like when blocked with yuck.
    [attachmentid=8189]

5) I flush the area with a garden hose on very low and some kind of long handle brush. Even a paintbrush works.

This is what it looks like clean.
    [attachmentid=8188]

The right side is much harder to access.

Attached Files: