1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drivers side door will not open!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Seeshaughnessy, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Seeshaughnessy

Seeshaughnessy New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Help! My drivers side door will not open from the inside or outside.

The first thing that happened is that it would not close, as if there were something caught in the door, so I got in and toggled the lock on and off. It then closed, but since then has not opened. The inside and outside handle have no resistance- like you would normally feel when you open the door and the latch engages.

Does anybody have any idea what would cause this or how to fix it? I'm hoping it's something quick and easy...

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds like the linkage fell off. Someone will need to pull the door panel to fix this.

Tom

3. Seeshaughnessy

Seeshaughnessy New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:

Since my last post, I drove around to take care of some errands and tried the door as I went. When I got home just now, the door suddenly opened again, as if nothing had happened. The only thing I can think of that changed is the heat. It was the first hot day today since last year and the issue occurred in the afternoon (hottest point), and I could open it again this evening after it cooled down.

Does this help narrow down what it could be?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd suggest that you have the lock's mechanical linkage lubricated, which will require removal of the inside door panel for access.

5. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the instructions (with pictures) for this procedure needs to be posted as a sticky.