1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drivers side mirror black plastic cover

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nujadul, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Nujadul

Nujadul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey priuschat,

A snow plow hit my brand new Prius C4 a few weeks ago where my drivers side mirror is.

The mirror itself is working just fine however I noticed the the bottom plastic pierce that covers the screws and wiring is missing.

[​IMG]

I called up the dealer who said the don't sell just the plastic piece. They would have the replace the entire mirror and it costs $360! I don't want to spent that kind of money, considering I also have clear bra on that mirror.

Does anyone know where I can get this part for cheap? I'm also worried the screws may rust as it's exposed to the elements.

iPhone ?

2. ucmenhvn

ucmenhvn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Have you checked with junk yards? Maybe they have one that is broken and can't sell it but will sell the piece your looking for.

3. c4

c4 Active Member

Go to the craft store and pick up a block of "Sculpey". This is essentially high-end all polymer "Play-doh", so it won't rot or anything like that.. Anyways, get a sheet of plastic wrap and put it over the space, shove a wad of Sculpey in and smooth it out until it matches the lines of the car, then carefully pull it out with the plastic wrap, straighten any surfaces that got deformed, and then bake it as per instructions to permanently harden it and then plug it back in over the hole.. Sculpey does come in black, but if the color isn't quite right, you can always paint it..

There's actually some Japanese-branded green plastic modelling filler that doesn't need baking to set that's even better, but it's gotten very hard to come by at least at in my area, but that's also a possibility.. There's also epoxy putty, and regular autobody filler: again put a sheet of plastic wrap into the space first, then fill it up and sculpt. Pull it out as it gets close to cured and still slightly flexible, then let it fully harden and sand, paint as needed..

Takes a bit of work, but cheaper than paying $360 for the whole mirror.. That, or you can sneak onto the dealer lot after hours with a screwdriver.. :sneaky:

4. Nujadul

Nujadul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I'll try that Sculpey idea. Although I might just leave it as is and spray some anti-rust lubricant on it I can seal it.

5. Nujadul

Nujadul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I also tried calling around local junkyards but because the C is a relatively new model, no one has anything for them. =\

6. Bingee

Bingee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The snow plow company didn't have insurance ??? Hit and run ??? Call your insurance co

ztanos likes this.
  7. Nujadul

Nujadul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Well what happened was, snow plow hit my car in the middle of the night. They also hit several other cars on my block. I didn't realize the damage until the next morning. The snow plows are owned by the city and I filed a grievance with them but they require witnesses and proof that it was indeed one of their snow plows.

I didn't want to call my insurance because I have a $1000 deductible and it wouldn't make any sense to file a claim.

The mirror is still working perfectly, I just don't want the screws exposed like that.