1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver's Side Window Shade for $3.80

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cycledrum, May 8, 2010.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *** This is for blocking the sun when parked for hours ***

I went MacGyver again and spent a whopping $3.50 + tax on a windshield shade, held it up to driver's window outside, traced with marker, cut in 5 minutes ...

and it sticks to the window so far with no suction cups. It's a very thin fold up shade which makes it easier to stay on the window. Sun mainly shines on driver's side where I park at work.

Time to make one for back passenger window until it gets tinted.

:D

050705 136.jpg

Umm, sorry PC Shop :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sweet! i'm using terry towel with suction cups. what kind of material sticks to the window?:)

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's one of those budget 'autoexpressions' brand auto shades, silver reflective material on one side only. It's very thin and lightweight. Luckily I cut it so it's slightly bigger than window height in couple places and so far it likes to stick in the window.

I'll see how it holds up over time.

1 person likes this.
  4. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would think you could tape small cloth tabs at the top that you could close the window on.... if the friction fit starts to fail.

5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That shade appears to be opaque. If you can't see through that window, you are endangering everyone on the road. You need a different solution.

6. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, kenoarto,

In cycledrum's 2nd paragraph he says the sun is mostly on the driver's side where he parks at work, hence the wraparound of his sunshade from the windshield all the way around to cover his driver's window. Yes, it is opaque, but of course anybody who uses those things always takes them down before driving.

But if he cuts a piece to fit the rear driver's side window (for use only until he gets his car tinted), I think it would be O.K. to keep that one in place while driving because when was the last time you could turn around while driving & see anything out that left rear window? Before changing lanes you mostly check your outside rear-view mirror & then look back over your shoulder through your own driver's side window. Your extreme angle to the rear left window prevents you from getting any kind of useful view through it anyway.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is only for parking 8+ hours at work, to keep the sun from fading everything it hits inside the car.

I look around, and it is mind boggling how few people even put up a shade for the windshield. They are so hurried to get into work, then let the dash get beat on for over 8 hours per day. Nuts.

8. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oops sorry for the stoopit post. Tis 'I who is still looking for a solution--while driving--along the lines of an extended visor. Have something purchased at the truck stop now. Not happy with it.