1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

drives me crazy

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by tomfreed, Jul 6, 2009.

1. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have this 01 Prius with only 123k miles that has driven me crazy for month. I got so frustrated at this point and i found this forum so i hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel on here. Long story short i bought the car with multiple engine codes. Replaced battery pack one time, replaced ECU twice, replaced transmission 3 times - yes 3 times:eek: At this point code P3120 and it refers to HV ECU when P3120 is a transaxle:confused: I brought to dealer for diagnostic twice and the second time i was told transmission MG2 problem of some kind. I just replaced a used tranny 3rd time and still have P3120 code?:( I bought this thing last year and it had sucking up my time, labor, a lot of money and i had such a sour taste in my mouth with Prius hybrid i feel like cover this car with gas and burn it up:mad:

Please help anyone! Thank you in advance.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a bridge I can sell you...

Tom

3. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Where?

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As you are no doubt aware, there is no traditional transmission, but rather a power split device, aka transaxle. Wasn't this true of the Gen I's? I know it was of the Gen II's.

Are you able to drive the car? If not, have you ever driven the car?

Was the title clean?

Anyway, sorry to hear your travails. Others with actual knowledge will chime in. Good luck!

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Anyplace you desire.

Tom

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't blame you for feeling that way; you've learned the hard way that the Prius drivetrain is extremely complex and not easy to repair. A few questions:

- Do you know for a fact that the salvage transaxles were functional before they were installed in your car?

- What was the original list of DTC logged by the car?

- Are any DTC currently being logged besides P3120?

If you are using a generic OBD-II scanner, be aware that device may not retrieve all DTC logged by the multiple Prius ECUs: engine, hybrid vehicle, traction battery, braking system, etc.

If in fact the newly installed transaxle worked prior to installation, then I would say that the inverter needs to be replaced. Good luck.

7. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm surprised you bought the car with the engine codes. Sorry to be so blunt but I don't have any pity for someone that doesn't do their homework.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Can you provide some information?

• Bought when?
    • You have the maintenance manuals?
    • Are you doing your own work?
    • What scanner are you using?
    • What is your backup transportation?
    • Do you have the ability to get it to a Toyota service center?
    • Do you have the ability to get it to Art's Automotive or Luscious Garage in Frisco?
    • What happened to the replaced parts?
    • Photos?
    This can help us understand more about your resources and the vehicle state. Then we can start working the problems one-by-one.

Before digging into the car too much, would you mind resetting the codes, cleaning the throttle body, and then trying to start the car and reporting the codes:

• disconnect the 12 VDC battery and put on a charger during following
    • clean throttle body
    • remove 12 VDC battery from charger and measure open voltage (let us know)
    • install 12 VDC battery and attempt to start
    • read out your codes and post them here
    Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

9. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yep i know it too well of the transaxle that is CVT and motor and generator all in one. Heck i did the tranny 6 times in and out by myself.

I am able to drive the car. Title is clean. This car is a nightmare for me.

So far no help as yet just some other people joking about it and frankly i am in no mood for a joke at this point:(

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Tom,

In my post #6 above I suggested that if you know for sure that the used transaxle worked prior to installation in your vehicle, then the next component to suspect would be the inverter. The good news is that is much easier to replace.

11. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tranny were pulled from low miles Prius and was told it was working. It can't be bad 3 in a row. There gets to be something else. Originally i had battery pack error code, transaxle. I replaced battery pack the error went away but the transaxle stubbornly persisted.

I have Auto Enginiuity that i paid for the upgraded version that can scan the Prius and it does a bunches of functions for sure. I already replaced the inverter, the hv ecm, the transaxle, battery pack. Hell that is the whole thing of the hybrid portion already. I even took to the Toyota dealer twice for diagnostic and was told transaxle after the second time. You can do the math all these costed me ton of money but the worst thing is it did not fix the car:mad: Man i am really mad:mad::mad:

I really don't know what to do next. No more money, no more desire, no more breath! Can anyone help?

12. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yep it doesn't help me at this point for being blunt isn't it? sure kick me in the butt when i am down but hell don't we all were stupid or dumb or making mistake at some point?

If you can't help me please don't make me feeling worse:(

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Tom,

You've replaced all of the parts that I would suspect.

- I understand that DTC P3120 is the only code that exists now?
    - Since you have the correct diagnostic tool, can you also retrieve the three-digit info code that accompanies the DTC?
    - What warning lights and icons appear?
    - Can the car be driven?
    - If so, what driveability symptoms does the car exhibit (lack of power, unusual noise, engine running all the time, etc.)

14. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    both were being done already! if you reread my original post i mentioned in there tranny 3 times, inverter twice, battery one time, hv ecu one time. Those refer to the number of time that i replaced

15. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought it 1 year ago, it has no maintenance record, i am using Auto Enginuity scanner, i have other cars to drive, I took to local Modesto Toyota twice already - hate to tell you but they were incompetent as far as it went, long story but bottom line is second diagnosis pointed to MG2 error code at transaxle and i replaced again 3rd times and still same problem. I had argument with them second taking it back for first time wrong diagnosis. I am not impressed with Toyota dealer:mad:, i do not believe there is a town name Frisco in Ca? I still have all replaced parts lying around. You will be shocked to see the parts i bought to fix this stupid car:( Here comes the photos.

I am not sure the connection of cleaning the throttle body but i will do it anyway. 12DC battery is weak so i have a jump start battery in parallel. Clear and rerun it consistently showed P3120, when i click on the + sign it said HV ECU but code P3120 is transaxle code?

Are you guys a shop or something? I had fixed many 01-03 Prius before too but one shot did it not again and again and again like this stubborn 01 Prius. Other Prius one time was the inverter, the other time was the transmission. One time, one fix did the repair. This 01 Prius is the only one that has multiple repair, multiple major parts and still not cure yet. I am thinking of checking all the connectors to the tranny. One time when i removed the tranny i stretched the wires so that could have caused internal wire broken:confused: I ran out of option and money to fix this car.

Gee i tried to attach pictures but it wouldn't let me? Will provide pictures later once i figure it out why?

16. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are the parts pictures

Attached Files:

17. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    more parts pictures

Attached Files:

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not think the throttle body has anything to do with your P3120 issue. If you had P3191 "engine does not start", then maybe the throttle body cleaning would help.

It's a good idea to verify that the transaxle wiring harness is in good condition since you've already replaced all possible parts.

You can attach photos after you've posted several times, as you just discovered. You can also post more than three photos by repeating the process of attaching three files at once.

19. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    P3120 is the only one shown at this point, i have the engine light and the triangle symbol on the console, i can't retrieve the 3 digit info. code, car can be driven and it drives quite normally with normal power, no noise, shut off just fine.

Can you provide the electrical diagram for all connections that goes to the tranny? i have to ohms it out to see if i have any broken wire internally that keeps giving me this error

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From Vol. 1, pp. DI-257 through DI-270

Sorry, momentary misreading of the code:

DI-257 P3120 HV Transaxle Malfunction
    Subcodes:

• 234 - Small reduction of motor magnetism
    • 235 - Large reduction of motor magnetism
    • 236 - Small reduction of generator magnetism
    • 237 - Large reduction of generator magnetism
    • 239 - Shaft damaged
    • 240 - Generator locked
    • 241 - Torque limiter sliding
    • 242 - Planetary gear locked
    • 243 - Motor resolver inter-phase short
    • 245 - Open or short in motor resolver circuit (wire harness)
    • 244 - Motor resolver inter-phase short
    • 246 - Open or short in motor resolver circuit (wire harness)
    • 247 - GND short in motor temperature sensor
    • 248 - Open or B+ short in motor temperature sensor (wire hardness)
    • . . . (and many more)
    I'd recommend following Patrick's advice and either downloading or check on Ebay and buy a paper version of the Vol. 1 of the Maintenance Manual. Toyota should have been able to read out the sub-codes from their scanner. These are the road-map to the problem along with the wiring diagram and a VOM.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

ps. You asked about us. Patrick and I hang out at the YahooGroup, "Prius Technical Stuff," as well as PriusChat. I also hang in myHybridcar.com and ecomodder.com.