1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driveway reflectors -- Question

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Red Reflector, blue reflector, etc. Big reflector or not?

The local government realigned the turnoff to our street last summer and ever since then people have been having trouble making the turn and end up in the ditch. A friend was over the other night and complained about it to me.

I KNOW the street and even I have to be pretty darn careful since this traffic safety improvement :rolleyes:

This is a quasi-rural area but pretty darn close to a big town and we do get a fair number of Sunday drivers out for a ride. Our street is gravel and no street lights.

Called the road department and they basically told me tough.

Thought I might invest $10 or $15 dollars in a few reflector posts, which might help.

Anyone agree, disagree, any better ideas?

The posts basically come in Red or Blue....not sure what color I would use. Thought right at the intersection, another couple 15 feet into the access corridor and then another couple near where it straightens out and starts up the street.

And, for some reason, despite being exactly the same, except for the color, the red reflector posts are about a buck more than the blue reflector posts.

[​IMG]

#1 Stevewoods, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RCO and Stevewoods like this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When the local traffic department won't listen, prepare a well documented package including police reports and Google overhead views ... make three copies. Then schedule a visit to your local, county commissioner with the subject and suggest he may want to invite the traffic engineer. Send him a copy of your report with the request for a meeting. Give everyone a chance to 'do the right thing.' Wait 60-90 days.

If after 60-90 days they don't do the right thing, you have options. Good luck on your campaign.

Bob Wilson

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    SOUNDS GOOD. Except, as far as I know, none of the unfortunates have made police reports. This is a bit rural. Cell phone contact is nill at this point. The last google view is before the change.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I vote for white or yellow reflectors.

"Red, as usual, is bad. It typically indicates you’re going the wrong way. If you turn around—probably a good idea—the RPMs will likely appear white or yellow to those driving in the correct direction. Yellow (or amber) markers typically show the center line of a road, or the left edge of a one-way road. White markers separate lanes of same-direction traffic and may also appear on the right edge of the road.

Blue RPMs are designed to catch the eye of emergency vehicle drivers as they indicate the presence of a hydrant on the side of the road. Steven Cole, president of the Reflective Tape Store, notes that blue markers are typically placed at the center of the road or on the side. If the hydrant stands at a corner, then each road might have its own marker. Marcia Lozer, a spokeswoman for 3M Roadway Safety, notes that blue RPMs may also indicate emergency entrances onto roads near firehouses—so they’re something even regular motorists might want to notice.

Green RPMs have several purposes. They’re most often used on roads around gated communities to indicate access for emergency vehicles. Utility companies may also deploy green RPMs to help them find roadside installations quickly, especially in an emergency. Cole also notes that red and green markers may be placed on private roadways, e.g. around factories, to “restrict or open areas to automobiles and traffic.” - What's that Thing: A Brief History of Reflective Pavement Markers.

Pavement & Guardrail Reflectors - Gamut

6. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I'd vote white or yellow also.
    Not sure I understand, OP sees traffic that runs off the road into a ditch.

Causes a tow truck to come out?
    Causes OP blocked access to his residence's street until car is removed?
    Or OP is trying to help reduce traffic accidents?

$15 investment could be worth while, BUT with tort law a conversation with an attorney before installing these reflectors would be prudent, in a desire to cover your arse. Best is that city workers install them.

Good luck.

srellim234 and pilotgrrl like this.
  7. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In Plano, blue Botts dots are used on streets to mark fire hydrants, and also Botts dots that show white when you're going the right way down the street and red the wrong way.

I vote yellow for caution, like on traffic signals.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to vote blue because of visibility and the fact that our local LEOs use that color, and this might clear the haze a little bit faster for drivers that are impaired by either kind of glass---Gorilla or shot.
    However (comma!) as noted above, yellow or red might work a little bit better in your case....YMMV

I faced a similar problem when I lived out in the country.
    The local diggers and fillers decided to 'enhance' our ditch for drainage and this resulted in cell phone queens (and one male teen distracted by drink and/or his GF) taking out three mailboxes and 2 sections of fencing in as many years.
    I've since removed the mailbox, which was notional anyway since I've used PO boxes for decades.
    I thought about the same form of reflectors, but all of the ditch clean-outs mentioned above happened during daylight hours and during CAVU conditions, and so I would probably just wind up having to get an Amazon dash button for the reflectors, since we still own the property, and since people still regularly clean out the ditch with their cars.
    "Statistically" this section of road is not interesting since most of the cars that wind up in the yards on either side of the road remain upright and no accident report is generated. On two occasions vehicles flipped (one in my yard, one in the pasture across the street) but there have only been two accident reports in the last 10 years with one injury.
    Statistically safe.
    I did due diligence with the county supervisors, but there are many MANY such places not only in our county, but in the Southeast US.
    It's a fairly robust profit center for body shops (both kinds) and the local constabulary.
    I'm wondering if the number of impaired drivers that are removed from the road by ditches might actually result in a theoretical saving of lives on the other side of the balance sheet. Cars are a lot safer these days and drunks usually are pliable enough to survive some spectacular crashes. Editing them from the pool of drivers before they have a chance to harm others might be what programmers call an 'undocumented feature'.....also known as an uncorrected fault.
    Cell phone users don't even have the excuse of chemical impairment to fall back on as an excuse for endangering their fellow humans, so while I'm very happy that their cars are keeping them safer these days - until self driving cars are perfected.....and mandated, I'm also happy that they pay higher insurance rates.....and the ditches do drain much better now.
    Win-Win!

A applaud your sense of civic responsibility!
    I still maintain that blue is more visible, but in the end, this will be a self-solving problem.
    You will eventually arrive at a solution that works.......or buy a lot of reflectors figuring it out.

#8 ETC(SS), Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018