1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving 2001 Toyota Prius in hot weather

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by beni, Jul 23, 2013.

1. beni

beni Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When ever I park my 2001 Toyota Prius for a long time in a sunny weather it gets hot inside and outside. When I want to start the car all the front panel lights and alarms will go ON. I still can drive the car without any problem. I could not get any code with the OBD2 sensor. All I can do is to delete the code. Any idea what this problem is? Again it just happens when the weather is HOT.
    Thanks
    Beni

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how long have you owned it? did it just start doing this? what is the mileage?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Clean the throttle body interior and throttle plate.

4. beni

beni Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the car for 3 years, it has 167000 mile on it and this is the third time that I have that problem. I put a new cooling converter pump on it last year. Don't know if is has anything to do with that?

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Try to park where the car will be in the shade when you are next going to drive it. The extra 30 seconds to walk a little further are much better than the minutes spent trying to cool the interior.

With the lights and alarms ON? If you turn the car off and back on three times which normally resets the display alarms, do they go off? If not, the problem is "latched up."

The Prius control computers have unique codes that a generic, emissions code reader can not see. For example, the Prius has a sophisticated tansmission and standard OBD2 scanners do not know to read the motor genertor temperatures.

Please search through the messages and see what Prius-specific scanners exist and are known to work.

Not without the codes from a Prius-aware scanner.

Bob Wilson