1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving 2004 Prius with failing/bad HV battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by odub, Feb 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. odub

odub Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After 12 1/2 years and 173,000 miles, the HV battery alarm lights have finally popped up. Took it into my local service station and he confirmed what I suspected. I knew this day would eventually come and we've been prepared for it by saving up for a new car.

My question is this: how much more driving can I squeeze out before the car completely stops working? We can't go looking for a new car until next weekend at the soonest and I'm hoping this will get me to the airport and back (70 miles round trip) with four days of being parked in between. In scanning the forums, most people seem to agree that if you continue driving on a bad HV battery, eventually the car won't run but I can't tell when "eventually" will be. Matter of minutes? Hours? Days? Miles?

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, there is no way to answer your question. the future of a hybrid battery is an unknown quantity.
    i suppose you could constantly monitor the battery with tech stream, and with some experience and expertise, get a feel for health degradation.

3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you continue to drive with the bad battery it's possible your Prius will go into limp mode at the worst possible moment - on the freeway. I'm going to say this in the nicest possible way - don't be stupid. Don't drive it in this condition.

strawbrad likes this.
  4. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know a dealer who drove a car with a bad battery on a long trip. During the trip the battery started popping, basically overheating to the point where the cells started to explode. Lucky the car didn't catch on fire.