1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving a 2013 Prius "Clunker"?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by fircrkr, Dec 15, 2014.

1. fircrkr

fircrkr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My 2013 Prius with 25,000+ miles has developed a low “clunking” sound every time I stop and the rear of the car settles. It seems to have come on gradually and now it doesn't seem to get any worse. My dealer is unable to find the cause and there is nothing loose in the back end of the car. The sound reminds me of some old leaf springs needing help. This isn't an awful sound but it’s very irritating and I’m embarrassed to give anyone a ride. I've driven a friend’s 2010 and it makes no noise when stopping. I’m about to go back the dealer again and attempt to get a manager to take a ride and see if he can hear the sound. The mechanic I dealt with claimed that he tried out a new car off the lot and it made the same noise – implying that I should just quit whining. Has anyone had or heard about a similar noise?? Thanks for your help. JJ

2. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Haven't driven a Prius clunker, but have driven lots of other clunkers. Could be anything...muffler rebounding against the chassis (or even side to side movement against another metal), heat shields, emergency jack in spare tire loose, loose rear plates flipping around, etc.

Hard to tell unless you record the sound. Drive in EV and stop with all the windows open and listen/record the sound. Or get someone to drive the car and stop right where you are positioned to best listen/record the sound.

3. IanIanIanIan

IanIanIanIan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    How much fuel is in the tank?

There are reports of the fuel sensor arm knocking when the tank is nearly full and on a stop the fuel slops activating the float.