1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving after Battery Failure is a Bad Idea (pic)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Houston Hybrids, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Houston Hybrids

Houston Hybrids Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a picture of some pretty burnt Gen II modules! Pulled these bad boys from an '06 with approx. 120,000 miles on it. The customer drove for months after receiving the battery failure code (due to lack of funds to fix it). These modules came from a block near the center of the pack, as you might have guessed. I have seen some pretty degraded packs, but this one took the cake! I went ahead and put the remaining modules through a few charging cycles and the highest capacity cell was 3400/6000. No bueno!
    photo.JPG
    Anyhow, I am tempted to take a hacksaw to them as I have never seen inside a module before! Thought I would share the pics though :)

Jessica

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How does driving after a failed battery cause this?

Houston Hybrids likes this.
  3. Houston Hybrids

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am no electrical engineer, but the way I understand it is that once the module has lost its capacity, it is not able to accept any energy from the regenerative brakes and engine. When electricity passes through a failed module, the energy is converted into heat instead of charging the module. This heat can be great enough to start a fire. This failed block then causes a disruption in the charge/discharge cycle, undercharging the rest of the pack.

Jessica

mmmodem and uart like this.
  4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There was a picture here a while back of a cell which had been charged outside of the box, with no clamping. It looked like an accordion, with many thin layers. Don't know where it is atm.

A common thread is emerging, with the GenII batteries failing more or less as expected (although some are giving much longer service). No one seems to have any funds for this unfortunately expensive repair, which was looming from day 1.

uart likes this.
  5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota's design of the battery is how they keep folks coming back for another Prius. Once you get hooked on the MPG, you can't stand a regular ICE car. If the battery had perfect longevity, there would be fewer repeat sales...

6. Houston Hybrids

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's definitely tough to justify spending dealership prices on a new battery that is worth more than the resale value of your car : ( People have realized that they can clear the error code and keep on driving until they literally can't anymore. It may buy them some time to save money, but it's dangerous if you ask me. I have had several people claim that when attempting to drive normally on a battery that has already failed, the car over accelerates while driving! Dangerous...

Jessica

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't buy that. Sure it's true to a point but more likely due to economics than a conspiracy to get you to buy a new car.

I remember cars from the 1970's that would rot away to nothing within 6 or 7 years. I asked my Dad why they don't make them like VW's (which didn't rust as badly) and was told that manufacturers want people to buy new cars. Which if true would mean that British Leyland would still be making cars and VW would have gone bust (the opposite happened).

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do realize that my choice of words was not correct. I think my point is this. The traction battery with its rate of failure can be considered a downfall by some. Think about it for a minute or two. The naysayers or those inquisitive about Prius always to seem to circle around the battery more than any thing else.

If Toyota were to make a better battery, I think they would actually sell more cars than they do now.

I have to say this concerning the batteries being used today. I recently compared apples to oranges in the battery game.

During the hunt for our new Prius I seriously considered a Nissan Leaf and looked at the Volt and the Ford Hybrids. Focusing on the Leaf's battery I learned some things about the known degradation of the Leaf's battery along with their "rental replacement" program which left a bad taste in my mouth. When I combined that with the high premium price of the Leaf fairly well equipped it became pretty clear who the winner was.

It seems the biggest fear out of those who know little about Prius and hybrids in general is the battery. For now it seems that Toyota has the best thing going in the market. With competition the way it is today Toyota may be forced to improve their battery in that aspect. Time will tell as to how the competition's batteries hold up as well as the newer Li-Ion and other chemistries come into play over time.

Ron (dorunron)

Britprius likes this.
  9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My dad had a 2011 Leaf SL on lease which he turned in early because he can no longer drive. With 14K miles on the odometer and in immaculate condition, it sold for $14K by Nissan on auction. That helps to illustrate the unusually high depreciation taken by that car because of battery capacity and range issues.

10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After I read your post, I guessed you were from Arizona. I understand that one of Volt engineers publicly stated that he would not recommend his car for a hot climate. Are Prius batteries doing OK in Arizona?

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't see it that way. I have a top of the line model which was $35K. A new car depreciates about 20% the second you sign the paperwork. So I have a $28K car after I sign. $7.5K federal rebate means $20.5K and then $6K state rebate means $14.5K. With no miles on the clock I wouldn't expect to get more than $14.5K for a pristine new Leaf. The auction price sounds about right. The depreciation is not battery worries, it is taking the credits off of the retail price.

Range isn't an issue for those who have Prius backgrounds. I have gotten 104miles out of my Leaf in subfreezing temperatures (-17C) with the heater on most of the time. Battery capacity is the same for the Leaf as most other cars. The difference is without active cooling, hot climates are worse for it. I have never seen my battery temperature gauge go above 3 bars. It is usually at 1 or 2 when I start and 3 by the time I park.

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No state income tax credit was offered in Hawaii.

Makes zero sense to buy a new Leaf then, just look for a gently used one.

14. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome picture.
    I enjoy seeing this kind of photo.
    Is a good illustration that can be used as a warning for my customers.

We need our own thread for things we see at hybrid shops.

On a related note, a fellow shop owner told me about, "Just Rolled Into the Shop" on reddit.
    Sometimes it is a bit risque, so be careful, but some of the damage and destruction that is shown is spectacular.
    Just Rolled Into the Shop

Your picture would fit in that forum perfectly.

15. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great pic and I'd expect the burnt modules were because of the climate down being so hot. I've been clearing it on mine for a while too but I will be curious to see if my battery will have lost any significant capacity after cycling the remaining good cells too since my climate is alot cooler than yours.

Also careful cutting them open because they are full of caustic alkali, besides someone already did it for you........
    Patent 6,936,371 - Recycling Battery Pack | PriusChat

16. Houston Hybrids

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yikes! The burnt modules really had little to do with the climate and more to do with electricity and battery chemistry. Do you know how many bad cells you have? I'm worried that you could cause damage to your car (or worse) by continuing to drive on it... If I can find the case to the battery that caught on fire, I will show you...its torched.

Jessica

17. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm quite sure I only have one bad cell on one module (waiting for my mini VCI to view actual blocks with the Techstream software). The interesting part is that the code will only appear on humid days.......when it's dry out the battery never throws a code (not even a pending one) and the vehicle will hit full bars on the display during driving. I suspect what you see down south is where the code is continually thrown/cleared and the battery gets torched due to continuous use (AC uses the battery heavily we rarely have it on up here and when we do use defrost it's pretty cold out) and the ambient temps down there are extreme so batteries tend to overheat quickly. I'm not too worried either way even if I need to buy a new pack since my sole purpose for buying a hybrid was to learn how to work on them - sick puppy I know (aside from that I'd probably just own an normal ICE powered car). I'll let you know what the damage is when I pull it apart, but again not too worried because most of the time the car functions great.

18. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i believe alot of the issues with the batteries are ranging in states with really high temps, and mountain climbing. in north dakota it is a mix climate. brutally cold winters, and average to hot summers but never usually in the triple digits. the toyota dealership here has not replaced one hybrid battery on a prius or camry hybrid since they started selling them except for one camry hybrid which was of no fault of the car. apparently the lady had a astro start installed and it was constantly draining the traction battery. but im a firm believer that it is mostly climate and terrain dependent

MTL_hihy likes this.