1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving "blind"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Nov 3, 2004.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I normally have the Energy screen displayed so I can see where energy is coming from, the battery's SOC, and my current MPG. After each commute to and from work, I switch to the Consumption screen to check my average.

It was dark this evening, and the MFD just seemed unusually bright so for the first time ever I turned it off. Working on feel alone, I tried to figure out what state of hybrid operation it was in at every given moment.

I had a really good drive; when I got home, I turned on the Consumption screen and had and upped my average by 0.5 MPG. And since I'm on the second half of my tank with over 240 miles of averages behind me, I'll call it a success.

If you haven't tried driving "blind", I recommend it. One with the car you will become. And even if you're not tracking the MPG, turn the brightness of the speedometer way down; it's completely dark. I thought it was pretty cool.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Reach out with your feelings....use the Force. Let it surround you and become one with it."
    Obi Wan Kenobi

3. Batavier

Batavier Member

Indeed, when it's dark and there are no street lights, I turn off the MFD as well and put the dash lighting on the lowest setting. Apart from the pretty sight of all the small lights of the buttons on the dash, it's also fun to try and still drive as economically as possible.

Driving that way reminds me of the Saab I drove a few months ago. Most Saabs have some sort of 'night vision' button. If you press it, only the speedo will be lighted and all other lights will be dimmed.

Now the Prius turns out to have the same possibilities...

Darn, I love this car! *grins*
    :mrgreen: