1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving for milage tricks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by rjmiz, Dec 28, 2006.

1. rjmiz

rjmiz New Member

Now that I've got about 3,000 miles on my new 2007, I have become a "mileage freak".

A few things I've learned on my own are:
    1. The running mileage on the MFD resets itself after each fill up
    2. Do not hit the reset upon filling up. To get an accurate MPG from tank to tank.
    3. After 3 or 4 tank fulls, the MPG is not as quick to respond to any gain or loss in MPG.
    4. When coasting down a steep hill, the prius can actually slow down when your off the gas.
    5. Trying to fill the prius with the maximum amount of gas, can lead to over fill, and spillage out the tank.
    6. I can't dial any numbers while moving on the bluetooth connection.
    7. My Razor will not transfer my phone book
    8. I have come to hate any inclines in the road terrain.
    9. I love declines.
    10. I have yet to overcome the fear my engine wont start again when stopped at a red light.

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miz @ Dec 28 2006, 11:36 AM) [snapback]367667[/snapback]</div>
    In my '05, if I put in more than 2 or 3 gallons, the computer senses it and resets the MPG number, so it's basically always showing mileage for the current tank. Maybe the newer ones work differently?

You'll get used to the car shutting off before too long, too. It does freak out the passengers sometimes, though, even now.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On your '07 the tank miles does reset, but the overall MPG does not reset...IOW it's a lifetime MPG which is why you don't see significant changes in the mpg the further you drive.

'05 and prior the mileage and mpg both reset after a 3+ gallon fill up.

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks. Sounds like a more useful mode of operation for the computer. I'm kind of curious about my lifetime mileage, but not enough to keep track of it myself manually, though.

5. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miz @ Dec 28 2006, 08:36 AM) [snapback]367667[/snapback]</div>
    What do you call a "steep hill"?

I've never experience slowdown unless it's a slight hill?

Were you on B?

Dave M.

6. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The trick I use most for better fuel economy is anticipating stops, and touching the brake pedal as early as possible. It seems reasonable that you will regenerate battery charge at a higher rate with a very slight touch on the brakes, rather than just coasting. You are "telling" the computer to regen harder, to slow you down more, and you also light up your brake lights as soon as possible, a defensive driving "trick" I've used for many years. The sooner the car driver behind you knows you are stopping, the more time he has to notice and avoid rear-ending you.

Harry

7. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miz @ Dec 28 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]367667[/snapback]</div>
    If you trully want to step to the next level, then I would recommend you get a ScanGauge II device to monitor the ICE's RPM.
    It is amazing how properly modulating the engine's RPM can have such a positive impact on fuel economy. Some do it by ear or by watching the instantaneous consumption on the MFD, but without a scangauge it is never as precise. It is a pretty good device and in my opinion well worth the price.

Cheers;

MSantos