1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving Habit Changes

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by New2Here, Oct 1, 2012.

1. New2Here

New2Here New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Now that I own a Prius C, I find myself...
    1. Driving while staring into the rear view mirror to see if cars are coming up behind me (driving slower trying to maximize MPG).
    2. Driving MUCH slower trying to max out my MPGs.
    3. Noticing the wasteful tendencies of other drivers (I used to be exactly like).
    4. Staying behind large, slower moving vehicles at stoplights when I have the opportunity to pass.
    5. Looking at the instrument gauges much more (almost as dangerous as texting IMO).
    6. Buying gas less and at a lower cost (smaller tank).

My previous vehicle was a 22mpg V6 Kia Optima. After 2600+ miles, I still enjoy driving my Prius C every time I get in it.

franathan and GTI like this.
  2. Todd Fury

Todd Fury New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Yeah, it's pretty awesome, huh? What color did you get?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me three.:D

ChinchillaGirl likes this.
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: 1, 2 and 5, you might want to read over Car and Driver: Mileage? No, it's Your Gallonage that Really Counts | PriusChat.

It's more important to reduce total fuel usage than try to aim for highest mpg. Some folks take longer routes just to get better mpg numbers, but end up having higher fuel consumption.

It really is too bad that people w/low mpg vehicles should really be the ones who hypermile, have good habits, use low rolling resistance tires, etc. Unfortunately, those folks are rather unlikely to do that or even measure their mileage. :(

#4 cwerdna, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
  5. Archaeo

Archaeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Have changed from an impatient driver always in a hurry to a totally zen driver, enjoying the scenery and taking it easy. Went to Germany this year and realized what greedy, gas guzzling people we are. Only saw two pickup trucks and one large suv in three weeks over there and we were on the autobahn for a good part of the trip. Of course, if our gas prices were over $7.00 per gallon we might see a lot of smaller cars on our freeways as well.

6. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I've also slowed down since getting this car... the urge to hurry just quietly disappears. I've even noticed that I used to always be getting up to the Power range and now I only sometimes touch it. If there's no-one behind me I'm unlikely to go that high.

I also do the things others have commented on in various threads... instead of avoiding stopping behind trucks and other slow vehicles, I now deliberately get behind them when stopping.

Amazing what this car does to people. Resistance is futile. :notworthy:

ChinchillaGirl and goddess prii like this.
  7. GTI

GTI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm doing exac the same thing, but I usually try to pass slow moving trucks and drive at front of them so no one is on my 33s plus I'm not being hit by any debris coming from them.
    It is funny how a car can change the style of driving. I'm coming from much faster vehicles such 2003 F-150 Lightning SVT, 12MPG premium:LOL: or recently 2010 VW GTI, chipped and stick (sweet ride, miss her sometimes)
    From my experience, the faster ride the faster you moving because it is tempting, and fun. In Prius C the fun is saving gas and that's what I'm enjoying now:)

8. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Lol, I'm totally enjoying this thread. :p Those are very similar changes that I've adopted since getting my Prius C. Long gentle breaking, slow acceleration, moving behind big slow cars, enjoying construction zones on highways so I slow down and not feel terrible for driving slow, watching cars often in the rear view mirror, being okay with cars passing you all the time, trying to get the highest #s on MPGs when driving, constantly looking at the different energy monitors...

My wife laughs at me at how much my driving style has changed. Though, when I get into my BMW, I'm a very different driver. :p No point in driving a Prius C like a regular car, because it's not. It's made for amazing MPGs so why try to drive it like it's a regular gas car? After all, that's what I bought it for and it really does well!

9. tom & lisa s c

tom & lisa s c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i find i do that as well when i jump in my mx5 i drive different

10. mjHession

mjHession New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I've always driven like an old man. The only thing different I do is drive a bit slower on 55 mph roads. I use to drive 50-55, now more like 45-50. I'm amazed at the different MPGs in those 5 mph change.

However, my wife use to drive like the standard american, now she too has adopted the driving habits she always hated about me.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not so sure. Vacationing up north for half of September, I could see that $5+ per gallon was not enough to get Canadians out of their SUVs and giant pick-em-up trucks, nor slow them down to something resembling the speed limits. And I have no reason to suspect that Americans are any more sensible than Canadians.

12. Archaeo

Archaeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I guess if it's all about where you want to spend your money but I would rather travel and do other things than spend it on gas.

Rob.au likes this.
  13. napmaster

napmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty much the same with me. It feels great to see a slow vehicle in my rear view mirror.

mjHession likes this.
  14. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Looks like we too are following your lead.

Retail doldrums? Check out SUVs

822,674 cars sold in Australia in the first 9 months of the year.
    228,995 of those were SUVs
    3371 were hybrids. :unsure:

EDIT: It seems the above article misread the figures.

Strong niche market developing for alternative fuel vehicles : FCAI

VFACTS for September: Sales primed by alternative energy – Car Reviews, News & Advice - Red Book

15. guity

guity Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    One habit I need to change is that I have always put off cleaning my windshield until I pull into the gas station to fill up my tank. That was fairly workable with my 23 mpg Camry. But, for instance, right now I am half way through the tank on my C and it's getting a little bit hard to see what's in front of the car...

16. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Instead of staring at the speedometer like in a std gas auto, many more instruments to stare at with these hybrids. No doubt a little more focus is required.

Ohhh, did I forget to mention the ScanGuageII?