1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving Habits, Fuel Economy, and Traffic Waves

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jcupak, Oct 10, 2007.

1. jcupak

jcupak Junior Member

I've had my '05 Prius for about a year now (I bought it used off Craig's List), and I think I finally learned how to drive it! :D My commute is about 50 miles each way: 10 miles down a very congested expressway ( WHY do the call it that? It certainly is NOT!), before I cut out and head through the country for another 10 miles until I pick up the Interstate. I drive about 25 miles on it until I exit and drive through the city to my office. I've learned to keep the expressway and interstate speed to 60mph, usually with the cruise control, and country/city speed about 35-37mph. I get about 60mpg, overall - sometimes a little less if I have to fight the traffic coming off the ramps as I drive in the right lane.

Anyways, I noticed something interesting as I drive. Most people whiz past me going at least 80mph, but when I see traffic slowing down and I'm already going slow - the "jam" seems to disappear when I get to it - and the cars behind me don't bunch up either.

I did a little research on line, and found an interesting article about "Traffic Waves" by William Beaty at http://amasci.com/amateur/traffic/traffic1.html. It seems that by driving my Prius at a slower, constant, speed I am actually eliminating traffic jams and improving the over-all traffic flow!

So, not only am I improving my own fuel economy, I am also eliminating (well, reducing) traffic jams!

What a wonderful car is the Prius!

2. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jcupak @ Oct 10 2007, 07:06 PM) [snapback]523913[/snapback]</div>
    funny you mention that "wave" in effect the pulse & glide technique is a one care "traffic wave"! LOL :blink: