1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving Habits

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Solar1953, May 17, 2010.

1. Solar1953

Solar1953 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone! A pleasure to be here! I was wondering about driving habits in general; My lovely wife and I just purchased a well-cared for 2007 Touring, and I am beginning to adjust my driving habits accordingly to gain the most milage out of her. And I also find myself changing the way I drive my primary vehicle, a 1999 Tacoma Pickup (the Prius is the wife's car). And I was wondering if anyone else here found themselves trying to adjust their driving habits in any other vehicle besides a Hybrid?

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You'll likely find many who report a change in driving habits from pre-Prius days -- me among them.

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A very good site for tips on improving your FE/MPGs in a non-hybrid
    vehicle is ecomodder.com

A good summary of the various techniques routinely discussed there is
    this document at the site.

There is also excellent information and discussion at cleanmpg.com.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I stopped wearing Habits when driving. I find secular clothes less restrictive.

Tom

5. Nortnarg

Nortnarg Prius~To go before

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Nunsense!!

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As an owner of a non-hybrid I know I've changed my driving habits based on just researching hybrids here and throughout the internet.

I don't notice it so much with my new car, but with my previous vehicle just employing some very basic hypermiling techniques, suprised me with how much I was able to improve mileage.

I do believe I am schizophrenic in this regard though...I'm either driving like Grandpa heading to cash his Social Security Check and trying to not spill his colostomy bag, or I'm driving like Ricky Bobby.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed my driving habits first (thank you CleanMPG.com), then got fed up with the unnecessary limits designed into non-hybrids "because that is what American drivers want / expect", then bought a hybrid to get around those limits.

8. desertrider2215

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well with all of my "spirited" driving on the hilly roads around here, 80 mph+ highway, and not worrying about any of that hyper-miling nonsense, I still get 39.0 MPG. Not too bad, eh? :rockon:

9. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not only have my driving habits changed, I walk more. It is a 20 min walk to get the Sunday paper, and another 20 minutes to Meeting for Worship, both events that I used to drive to. Now that I am retired, I take an hour walk for exercise (when I am not cycling), and often throw in a stop or two that otherwise might take up another car trip.

Initially I did it because I could see how the short trips were eating my gas mileage and I was playing the max MPG game. Now its just habit.

10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 Exactly...

Although even when my inner Ricky-Bobby takes over, I still manage to get mid fourties it would seem, so not so bad. :D