1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving Impressions - After TRD Sportivo/Tom's braces

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bobh3501, Dec 12, 2006.

1. bobh3501

bobh3501 New Member

There have been several posts of late about Tom's braces (rear, middle, front, front strut tower) and the improvements in handling. I agree wholehearedly with many who have chosen to do this modification - the handling of the stock Prius borders on dangerous instability. If you are used to sporty cars and switch to the Prius it can be alarming how squishy the suspension and frame are - changing lanes, rain grooves, quick stops all seem to get the car out of shape. Having said that, I did sort of get used to it after a while and with familiarity it just began to feel natural. I love to modify things when I can though, and decided to do the TRD sportivo suspension and tom's braces (and exhaust, too).

Having had the car for a week now (post-modification) I can say it is much, much more sure footed and stable. I feel totally secure on southern California freeways. Others have talked about this being like a miracle cure - but I would have to say that I am slightly disappointed. I would compare the new suspension and frame stiffness to a VW Jetta while my expectations were more Audi A3! If stiffer suspension were available I would do it...

Here are a few photo's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check the exhaust tip! The Tom's exhaust is ever so slightly louder than stock ..
    [​IMG]

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Looks like an excellent set of mods. What's your impression of the exhaust sound?

3. bobh3501

bobh3501 New Member

I think it sounds better .. when the ICE is on, anyway!

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm still on the fence in getting the exhaust. I know I don't like the current sound of the stock exhaust. Is there, perhaps, a recording you can do for Tom's exhaust? That'd be the deciding factor if it's possible. :)

5. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Man, that is one clean car! Looks nice.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm selling my 4x4 (in sig) and the Prius will be my only vehicle so I may start AutoCrossin it. A bunch of members form my LS1 car club attend and sponsor these events.

So I have been seriously thinking about getting a few braces just to help stabalize the chassis some and lessen the risk of breaking something durring the rigors of autoX. IMO the Prius feels very unsecure. Do you feel that the bracing has eliminated that feeling?

7. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you are gunna autoX, consider getting the TRD kit. The braces will definitely make a significant difference, though. I'm thinkin' of checking out the regular autoX events out by one of the local airports. I wouldn't think of doing it in a stock Prius since it handles like nice person. At the very least, get the BT plate. That will do wonders over the stock brace, especially in autoX.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Dec 12 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]361204[/snapback]</div>

I have the BT brace and it seemed to help a little but I'm not sure how much with cornering. I'm hoping the TRD suspension kit will come down in price. I'm a staving student again. Ha!

It won't be as fun as my old car but Maybe quicker since i won't be sliding so much. Runflat tires SUCK! lol

http://www.fatalfoo.com/Movies/C5%20Slide.wmv

9. adamorzol

adamorzol New Member

Where did you buy the TRD Sportivo suspension kit and the Tom's suspension parts from? Please advise. Thank you.

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow, old threads never die! Have a look at all the goodies Sigma Automotive has on offer.

11. adamorzol

adamorzol New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Apr 17 2007, 10:21 PM) [snapback]425142[/snapback]</div>
    Hello Bill: Have you purcahsed from Sigma before? Reliable delivery of goods? Anyone in the USA have this without having to wait 5-10 weeks to get parts from Japan?

Thank you.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UNWIRED @ Apr 17 2007, 10:35 PM) [snapback]425149[/snapback]</div>
    Fairly reliable. However, note his dates cause he doesn't order immediately after you place YOUR order. He has a set date where he sends out ALL his orders at a time to save on shipping costs.

So if you ordered just after the last date, then you'll be waiting a while.

Also, give it some time for the parts to arrive from Japan.

And yes, you'll have to wait for it from Japan. It is manufactured there.