1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving it like a regular car, MFD off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by craigk, Jun 30, 2007.

1. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My summer tanks have been 51-54 mpg (winter 40). I watch the MFD all the time and try for good mpg. I decided to see what would happen if I drove without watching the MFD, and even used the a/c a couple of times (only because I had passengers, otherwise it's sunroof only!) I drove my same city/highway routes, and was not as careful with the accelerator pedal (can't call it "gas" pedal??) After 380 miles I couldn't wait to look any longer and my tank average was 49.6mpg! I'm keeping it off for awhile, it was much more relaxing not watching the MFD all the time.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congratulations, Craig. I often recommend to new drivers that they turn off the display to learn the feel of the car. Can you feel regen? Can you feel the ICE kick in? I'm still learning to glide by feel alone.

3. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 1 2007, 12:22 AM) [snapback]470902[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Bill,
    I can definitely feel when the ICE kicks in and shuts off, I can only assume the regen when I'm in the condition where it should happen, can't feel it.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now, go the other way. Install a tach and try keepin' 'er in the
    sweet spot range whenever it *is* running, and see how you do...
    It *is* actually useful to know when the engine is on or off; helps
    do more effective P&G.
    _H*

5. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jul 1 2007, 08:42 AM) [snapback]470976[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Hobbit,
    I was told that the high efficiency range is when MPH is less than 2xMPG. While it has helped me improve my MPG considerably, I was wondering if you had some similar formula from your own experiences.

6. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jul 1 2007, 08:42 AM) [snapback]470976[/snapback]</div>
    This is great advice. I followed the directions on Hobbit's page to install an inexpensive tach and it has done wonders for the FE driving experience. It has done wonders for my highway mileage in particular since I can now use the hills to keep the engine in the "good" RPM range. Lately I've been considering a cheap vacuum gauge to get the full picture. ;)

Analog gauges mounted on top of the dash are much less distracting than an MFD-style readout. One glance and you've got your info.

7. agron1979

agron1979 Junior Member

I've had my prius for a week and I can not get better than 48mpg, still beats the 2000 LX470 I traded in that got a lousy 14mpg :eek:

8. agron1979

agron1979 Junior Member

I've had my prius for a week and I can not get better than 48mpg, still beats the 2000 LX470 I traded in that got a lousy 14mpg :eek: