1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving on a bad hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Vangator, May 25, 2011.

1. Vangator

Vangator New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Warning light came on and I went straight to dealer. My hybrid battery is bad after 150,000 miles. Can I drive the car with on just the gas engine? No one at the dealership seems to know.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you not afford a new/reconditioned battery at this time? and no, you cannot drive on a dead battery.

You may want to post the exact trouble codes the dealer pulled up.

1 person likes this.
  3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You can drive for a while and now that the computer "knows" that there is a problem, your Prius will minimize the use of your traction battery (little help in acceleration from the electric motors, lower MPG, loss of AC, ... ) to ensure that it will continue to maintain sufficient capacity to restart the engine when required. At some point the engine will fail to start and you will need a tow.

I was able to get a refurbished HV battery (Re-Involt supplied and Toyota dealer installed) installed for under $2000 (Inflation has hit in the last few weeks so the price may be a bit higher now) recently at 194k miles in my 2004 Prius. So if your dealer cannot get a new battery (typically $3300 installed) you should talk to them about getting a refurb that is done by an experienced vendor. A refub done properly has a rebalanced set of 28 7.2 volt modules and should last almost as long as a new battery (200 to 250k miles on average, shorter in hot climes, longer if high miles/year).

JeffD

1 person likes this.