1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving sudden steady warning sound, CEL, and Red Exclamation marker car stops after awhile

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Vision33r, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Vision33r

Vision33r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was driving with the AC running this morning and upon exiting a highway ramp going downhill I got this warning sound. Then CEL too with a Red Exclamation mark sign and the sound won't go away. After 7-8mins of driving the engine or throttle completely shuts down. The car has power, it was running the AC and radio, I turned them off.

I remember getting this if I park the car on an incline or hill but this time it had a CEL with it.

Then parked the car and took awhile holding Power to get it to power off. Start it after 5 mins, it drives for about 7-8mins it came back on. No CEL but only the sound and the red exclamation sign. I was able to slowly drive it in EV only and was able to get it going for about 5-10mins then it did it again and then same thing occur. Finally at the 3rd restart I was able to slowly drive to my work place parking lot and parked it with the red exclamation mark and no beeps and no CEL.

I'll wait til after work to start it up. Hope it's nothing major, perhaps the 12v battery? Had new one changed about 4 years ago.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Man, warning sounds and lights don't mean much to you eh? You kept driving it......when it's screaming STOP.

You should get the codes read on the car, just to make sure. But it could be low on oil, overheating, bad inverter pump, battery issue, anything at this point.

fuzzy1, jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It doesn't bother you, that it's running in EV only? I believe second Gen is willing to run the hybrid battery right down, to the point it requires a special charger and the dealership to (hopefully) recover it.

What JC said: don't shoot the messenger, it's telling you stuff is wrong, and continued driving is not going to make it better.

fuzzy1 and jerrymildred like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do not drive it in that condition. Have it towedif you have to (the proper method is in the owner's manual) and get it to a shop where they know how to fix a Prius. As JC said, their could be any number of things wrong and you may make a simple repair into a hyper-expensive ordeal. If you haven't already.

5. Vision33r

Vision33r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was think of having the car towed but I was about less than 10mins away from work parking lot.

Anyways, it was driving in EV mode since I was driving slowly on the side but the motor did start up a few times when it gets above 20mph.

The CEL did go away and had the Red Exclamation sign which I thought maybe the tranny overheated since it is 95F today.

I did recently changed the oil and filter less than 300mi ago.

Here's hoping nothing else come up when I go home, I need to cover about 25mins of driving to get home. I do have a code reader at home I can use to see what the CELs are.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is your parking free, are you going to get killed leaving it at work? I'd start heeding the warnings, consider getting it towed to dealership, take transit or cab home, and so on. JC's listed a laundry list of what it could be, most of which need a pro's attention. Check the coolant and oil levels, and other'n that, I'd vote for tow.

8. Vision33r

Vision33r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not free parking, was amazed I got there. Now, I have gotten this before a few years ago while parking and it went away the next day. The CEL went away, I probably just need to restart it or wait til it cools down today. I plan on driving on the right side and anything happens I'll pull over the side of the road like I have been if it really can't give me 13 mi I'll call to get roadside assist. This car has stalled on me 3-4 times in the past but have not done this repeatedly like 3 times in one trip. Will find out later. It's Residential driving.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had many failures on my gen2 cars but I don't remember a failure that had an audible sound. There is a condition where the ABS brake actuator has an issue, that might make an audible sound. But I've never experienced that. I think there's an extended warranty for the ABS issue but I'm not sure when the extended warranty expires.

10. Vision33r

Vision33r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About 170k, no issue with the hybrid battery. Shows full most of the times and able to drive in EV. The only problem I've had was last year in December the 12v battery mysteriously emptied and needed a jump and been fine since.

11. Vision33r

Vision33r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it occurs later or again I will shoot a video and post it on Youtube. It's basically an the same beep you here when driving with the door not fully closed. Which is what I thought maybe the computer today needs to cool down and reset and was able to drive it once the CEL goes away but the Triangle still remained.

12. Vision33r

Vision33r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good news, I arrived back home safely. Drove home, I waited til the traffic lightened up to go home. I kept the max speed under 45mph. The CEL stayed on including the red triangle. Couldn't get it to turn off.
    I got home and hooked up the Scanner and found one active code. P0A93 Inverter Water Pump Failure. That probably explains why I hear a pumping sound sporadically during turns.

13. Vision33r

Vision33r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good news, I arrived back home safely. Drove home, I waited til the traffic lightened up to go home. I kept the max speed under 45mph. The CEL stayed on including the red triangle. Couldn't get it to turn off.
    I got home and hooked up the Scanner and found one active code. P0A93 Inverter Water Pump Failure. That probably explains why I hear a pumping sound sporadically during turns.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If that is all that is wrong, don't drive it til you get the pump replaced. When the pump is not working you are overheating the inverter that will shorten the life of a very expensive part.

15. Vision33r

Vision33r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good idea, it's so hot today, no wonder it overheated so quickly. I have to take a look at it soon and see if it's just air bubbled clogged or the actual part. Because I just remember the water pump was changed 2 years ago per the recall and now it went bad again?

16. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Anything is possible, best to get it checked out, get some sleep, don't over think it. :)

17. Ajourney101

Ajourney101 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The warning light can come on if your low on coolant and the temp starts climbing above 205°F

The extended service warranty on Brake Actuator ends December 2017 with unlimited mileage.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.