1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

driving thru floods electric or petrol power?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Martin Turner, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Martin Turner

Martin Turner New Member

Scotland as just had its wettest month ever (This in a country which AVERAGES 9 FEET OF RAIN ANNUALLY IN PLACES..). I am looking for theoretical and practical advice: If confronted by deep flood water, and it is necessary to try to drive through it, is it better to go all electric with the EV button (which I guess could go along a river bed submerged in theory), or keep the petrol engine going to stop water coming up the exhaust....

Any thoughts welcome, as it is still raining.... Yip climate change..

Thanks Martin :blink:

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I doubt you'll have much opportunity to control the engine operation. You could, of course, use the accelerator to demand power, which would ensure the engine is running.

Unfortunately, the general driving advice is to keep speed very slow to avoid splashing the engine compartment, so the above suggestion seems like a bad idea.

I would just drive slowly as usual through the water. The Prius should be no more susceptible to flood failure than other vehicles.

I doubt the engine produces enough exhaust pressure to prevent an inflow of water anyway.

3. Martin Turner

Martin Turner New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Dec 15 2006, 01:03 PM) [snapback]362800[/snapback]</div>

I should have said, as a European model it has the EV button, so I can switch off the petrol engine

Thanks Martin

4. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There are other issues with high water. Probably the most serious is the chance of losing control of the car as the water lifts it off the wheels. It's really hard to tell the depth of flood waters, and you could end up driving into water deep enough to float the car. Of course, you could also end up with water ingested through the intake, which could end up costing a pretty penny. Keep your sporrin dry!

5. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Just watch the depth. If the water is high enough to get in the exhaust, it is high enough to at least splash up the intake.
    This means the engine better be off for sure.

You might try raising the intake higher if this is a problem.
    You can just go to B to force engine to stay running.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I went thru a flooded intersection yesterday that the water was about 1 1/2 feet deep and I did it very slowly in electric mode and had no trouble. I later heard that the intersection was closed with a stalled vehicle. If much deeper I don't think I would have taken the chance.

7. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Remember one other important thing the ECU rests under the Driver's seat. Once the floor gets flooded Bye-Bye So Long.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm inclined to agree that the real dangers of floodwater are going to be the same for a Prius as for any other car. If the water is moving it can sweep you away. If it's standing still, and other cars are moving through it, and IF you're willing to risk it, I'd probably use EV to avoid sucking splashed water into the intake. However personally, I'd say if the water touches the bottom of the bumper OR if the water is flowing, I'd turn around and go back.

I was in Scotland. Very wet. Very green. Very pretty. I was with a group, and we hiked most of the West Highland Way (we skipped the bits that just follow the railroad tracks) and on the last day we climbed Ben Nevis. That was the only clear day we had, and it was marvellous.

In Glasgow, before the start of the trip, I could not understand a word anyone spoke. In Edinburgh I understood everyone pretty well. I had a lot of fun, though I got a lot more "liquid sunshine" than I wanted.

9. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear @ Dec 15 2006, 11:09 AM) [snapback]362839[/snapback]</div>
    Not on my car. The NAV computer is under the drivers seat, the JBL amp is under the passenger's seat.

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Also remember, that even with the EV mode switched on, the car will start the engine once the batteries are down. So you really don't have as much control as you may think. You can't drive very far on battery power alone. Especially when pushing all that water.

Just don't open the door when you get stuck in the water! Roll down a window and escape that way. In other words, don't try to drive through water - the Prius has very limited ground clearance.

11. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    one time i misestimated the amount of water at a intersection and went through 2 1/2 ft water i tried to keep it in electric because my exhaust and intake were clearly blocked, and i was so scared because the car actually was floating, but i made it out! luckily no water in the interior

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(statultra @ Dec 16 2006, 07:27 PM) [snapback]363284[/snapback]</div>
    This is why it is recommended never to drive through water unless you can see other cars driving through, and you can see that it's just a few inches deep.

13. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 17 2006, 09:01 AM) [snapback]363367[/snapback]</div>
    This is my rule...we live right by the water, and when tides rise and we get flooding, I know the roads nearby and know whether or not I can go through...and how to get around them, but we have many roads that are closed regularly.

If I don't know the road, I don't chance the flood, unless I see another car immediately in front of me go through so I can judge depth.

terri

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i would not drive thru water more than a foot deep under any circumstances. we too in the Pacific Northwest just finished the wettest November on record, so i guess GW is in full force here as well. (oh wait... there is not 100% proof that our current weather is caused be global warming and to say that it is the cause when there is only 99.4% agreement would simply be politically incorr...oh thats right, im not a political guy!!)

fact is, it would be difficult to determine exactly how deep you can go. the engine is set up so that air intakes and whatnot are positioned at the top of the car so the hood would have to be just about swamped to worry about the intake. its my opinion that you are taking a huge risk, so you have to weigh the options carefully.

as for me... i live on the side of the hill overlooking the sound. despite the VERY severe weather we have had (gusts up to 75 mph in our area and 135 mph elsewhere) we did not lose power (75% of my area did) and i can see that the water is still a good 20 feet below us.