1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving to Yukon and Alaska

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GarryK, Dec 2, 2006.

1. GarryK

GarryK New Member

We are considering a road trip to the Yukon and Alaska again. We have done this trip before in a four wheel drive with no difficulty but wonder now if it is absurd to consider this in a Prius. Saving $1000 in gas expenses is hard to ignore. Has anyone made this trip? Did you find the minimal ground clearance an issue? Was your Prius a rock chip magnet? I'll skip the Dawson City-Inuivik trip this time but have you travelled the Cassier Hwy, Klondike Hwy, driven to Tok, Fairbanks, Denali, Homer, Haines, Ft. Liard, or Dawson Creek? I can take the Jeep again but I'd like to try the Prius if any members can tell me it's worked out OK for them.

Garry

2. barefootmatt

barefootmatt New Member

I can't speak to the suitability of the Prius in particular, but I've done much of that trip in a 1993 Volkswagen Jetta. I don't know how the clearance compares, but the Jetta is definitely not 4-wheel drive, and it handled tough roads like the Cassiar Highway just fine. I haven't been to all of the places on your list, but many of them have perfectly good paved highways, where even the most beat-up old car would do just fine. Dawson Creek, Haines, and Fairbanks are all accessible by good paved roads, and if you're going through Dawson Creek, you won't be taking the Cassiar Highway either. The Klondike Highway is likewise in excellent condition, although I can't speak for the Top Of The World Highway from Dawson City over to Alaska. We did that in the Jetta too, but I think it's more variable and more sensitive to bad weather than the Cassiar. Note that the Alaska Highway has had a lot of major reconstruction in recent years, and it's now very straight and wide and easy to drive. You hardly have to think.

Good luck, and have fun!

3. ajrowell

ajrowell New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Garry @ Dec 2 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]356777[/snapback]</div>

I am going to do most of these roads on a bicycle starting in June 2007, so I have to think the Prius will make it just fine! Seriously, check out my website and shoot me your email address (anyone who is interested). It will subscribe you to my email distribution of the Why I Ride bi-monthly newsletter complete with excellent photos and stories you can't get in a car, even a Prius. Yes, regretfully so, I will be selling my 2006 Prius with just over 30K on it now, as my bicycle trip will take around seven months (10,000 miles) and I don't want to make the payments.

Look for the official website soon, summary and starter page up now!!!

www.whyiride.org

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Garry @ Dec 2 2006, 05:07 PM) [snapback]356777[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, Jesse did... from Massachusetts all the way to Alaska, then back!

The trip went just fine, no problems.

[​IMG]

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ajrowell @ Dec 5 2006, 09:48 AM) [snapback]357877[/snapback]</div>
    Am I hearing this right? You're selling your car so you can go on a really long bike ride?

Far out! More power to you, ajrowell! :)

Now, let me go check out that website...

6. deman1134

deman1134 New Member

Well, my trip wasnt much compared to yours, Chicago to the Keewanaw Peninsula (along Lake Superior) i did spend a good amount of time on dirt and gravel roads lost trying to find distand relatives houses and the Prius handled good. It sounded like i was going to get a good amount of paint chips but i ended up with none. I would assume the Prius would be fine, but hopefully others can comment on that too.

-Kevin

7. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

Just did that trip in May/June...not in the Prius but on the big roads I would say no problem ...we did not have 4 wheel drive...by any stretch...