1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving with a scangauge in a Gen III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by BrettS, May 6, 2011.

1. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, so I finally gave in and bought a scangauge and it arrived on Tuesday. I spent the first few days setting up some of the xgauges and watching the gauges and playing with it a bit, but now I'm trying to actually use it to help my fuel economy (and maybe even hit 80MPG on the way to or from work).

So far I've been able to get the best results by adding the current speed and instantaneous MPG and I've been trying to keep them about the same as I accelerate... something I had read suggested that was a good place to start. I suppose technically I could do the same thing without the scangauge... and I tried once, but it was hard for me to look at the digital speedometer and the analogue MPG and try to keep them the same as I accelerated and the numbers kept changing. By getting two digital numbers right next to each other on the scangauge I'm having much better luck.

So far it does seem to be helping... I got a personal best of 77.3MPG (displayed on the car) on the way in to work this morning... I'm beginning to think that maybe 80MPG is reachable.

But I'm not sure that's really the best way to gauge how quickly to accelerate, so if you guys have any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks,
    Brett

2. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Knowing the route helps out a lot, because you know where the stops/hills are located. The basic things that will help with your MPG are the following:

1) Tire Pressure (Max it out, the higher the better)
    2) Get up to speed very quickly
    3) Coast as much as possible (with NO REGEN BRAKING)
    4) Run the AC as little as possible (with windows UP)
    5) When you know you have to stop, capture as much regen braking as possible.

There is plenty of info out there for hypermilers, but if you just do these, it should help a great deal with your MPG.

*EDIT*
    I forgot to add this; The interstate (higher speeds), kills MPG. I try to pick my routes that are posted about 35mph if possible. I have the gen2 and I can average about 70-80 mpg most of the time without putting much effort into it.

3. Ferls80

Ferls80 Performing some hypermiling techniques.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the everyday use, in my SGII I like to monitor these values:
    1) Ice rpm (you know that ice is running most efficiently between 1250 and 3000 rpm, so I try to stay around 1600-1800. consider this during pulse phase)
    2) ice coolant temp (you know that ice should be above 80C to work more efficiently).
    3) Soc, state of charge (you know that if you're below 60% ice will run to charge battery too, that's not the best. More, if you are above 60% you can use some battery traction to help during glides - ideally you should stay at 60%).
    4) Ampere from (positive values) and to (negative values) the battery (for the same reasons at point 3), but with this parameter you have an idea how things are going in a certain instant).

Then I use to monitor the hybrid synergy indicator and speed on HUD (I think this is the most important indicator, and you don't take off eyes from the road).

Sometimes I take a look to analog instant fuel economy on the dashboard, and finally I like to see the graphic "5 min. consumption" to see which results I achieve.

2 people like this.
  4. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  5. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    haha... I think I'm finally coming around to admitting it. We'll see if it actually happens though.

That is very good to know... I've been watching the RPM a bit as I've been driving (now that I can), but I really didn't know what range to keep it in.

I was aware of them and I had seen that post a while ago, but it was good to review it. Being in Florida... especially this time of year, I haven't had to worry too much about warm up times.

I'm also thinking I may start to try to do some P&G as traffic conditions permit... maybe that'll help kick me over 80 too.

Thanks again,
    Brett

6. Rstaton

Rstaton New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just ordered a Scangauge, and I was wondering what I should be looking for. It looks like you answered that already!

FWIW I once got 75MPG on a 5-mile stretch that was low speed with some modest rolling hills. Those hills seem to force a nice P&G.

7. priusito_de_mi_vida

priusito_de_mi_vida Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I use that four xgauges too!

Specially soc one.

With the soc xgauge and the knowing of the route you can adjust your battery charge better.

I think it is possible 3.0 l/100 (real, not from the inaccurate car display) in real traffic day.

And if all conditions were ideal, it could be possible to go under 3.0 l/100 km (78 mpg). But rain and cold play against us almost all the year.

8. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did it... I finally did it:) I've been trying to do the pulse and glide thing a bit more and I actually got 80.5MPG (displayed) for the trip in to work this morning. It helped that it was only about 72 degrees out, so the AC wasn't doing much, but I actually got above 80. I guess I'll finally have to admit that Mike was right and it is possible;)

One thing I noticed is that as I'm doing the pulse and glide thing I haven't been running the engine enough to keep the battery charged. As you can see in the pic below, I was down to 3 bars by the time I got to work... and I actually started with a fully charged battery. I didn't do any driving in electric only mode, so I'm not sure if I just gave it a little too much gas in trying to avoid regen and wound up using some electric power as I was trying to glide or what. Watching the HSI display I tried to keep the bar invisible, but looking at the scangauge it was typically showing a 5-10A draw while I was gliding. Should I be aiming for less?

On a somewhat related note, can you set up an 'engine on' timer on the scangauge? I'd love to be able to see how many minutes the engine actually was running during my 45 minute commute.

Brett

Attached Files:

9. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, the car will typically be drawing about 1.0-1.5 A doing nothing. That's probably a good level to aim for. However, having the A/C on at all will drag that down quite significantly. If it's only 72, you're way better off having the fan on at the first or second notch, and the A/C light off.

It's all about how many little details you want to control. Want that extra half-mpg? Then you can't usually use Auto climate control. Don't care about the last little bit of fuel economy? Great! The car will do a pretty good job all by itself.

And your 80.5 mpg was probably helped by emptying the battery - I imagine your trip home was worse mpg because the car had to charge the battery more. If you keep the SoC gauge up on the scangauge, try to keep it above 58%; below that, you'll notice the engine working harder to try and charge the battery, which means that for the same pedal input (or the same spot on the HSI), it'll be revving the engine faster. Above about 62 or 63% is where it will do the opposite, dumping charge from the battery so the engine revs slower. Both of those levels are well within bar #6 of the battery, so this is basically impossible to see without a scangauge.

1 person likes this.
  10. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, as I posted on another thread here I created an xgauge to display the number of amps the AC compressor is drawing and it can draw quite a lot. When my car has been sitting in the sun on a hot day the compressor will draw nearly 10amps, and I found that the blower motor is close to 2amps when it's on high. However, that drops significantly after the interior has cooled down... when it's in the 90's and the interior of the car is cool then the AC will draw 3 or 4amps and the blower motor on a lower speed will draw less than 1amp. On a cool day like yesterday the compressor will cycle on and off drawing 0amps when it's off and only 1.4-1.8amps when it's on. I suppose I could save a little power by shutting it off entirely, but it does help with the humidity leaving it on.

I think there's no question about that. Although this also gets me thinking about doing a plug in conversion again. I'd really like to do it, but I know I won't be able to make up the cost in fuel savings and I just have a hard time justifying it otherwise.

As far as the trip home goes, it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison. I had gone to lunch between the two trips, so the battery had picked up a bit more of a charge. But beyond that it was in the 90's on the way home, so the AC was working much harder as well.

That's very helpful. Right now I'm showing battery amps, rpm, current speed and current mpg, so I don't really have room for a SOC display as I've been getting the best numbers by watching the speed and mpg and trying to keep them about the same as I accelerate. Perhaps I should be looking more at RPM as I accelerate and then I can take speed and mpg off of there. I can certainly see how SOC could be useful as I did program that xgauge and played with it a bit... it's much more granular than the display on the dash.

11. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Amazon.com sells a OBDII cable splitter which will allows 2 scangaugeII to be connected to the Prius at once.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A splitter is not necessary, ScanGauges can be daisy-chained. I don't recall if it needs an Ethernet cable or phone cord, but it is easy.

13. tomlouie

tomlouie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  14. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick question. Pulsing at 1200-1800 rpm, is that Granny Acceleration?
    Say, from a red light.

Also, I've tried skipping the highway the whole way, and my MPG increases slightly instead of going down. So perhaps I am always over-accelerating.

I've tried going into red all the time from stops until 10% above posted limit and coasting to next stop the who way, versus staying in the green zone - what I call Granny Acceleration, with no noticeable difference.

The only time I get way above 50 MPG is bumper-to-bumper traffic, when my top speed is never above 60kph / 35mph. At 80-100kph for 15 minutes versus 60-70kph for 20 minutes is a net zero effect.

IOW, getting to work using same small roads, and staying on the access road, which is quite level, versus getting on the highway.

What I do do, is maintain speed with little variation, to not become a annoyance in traffic, when there are no stops for a good 15-20 minutes.

So having a scangauge or not, wondering how this could affect me.

15. Rstaton

Rstaton New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Scangauge arrived today, and I used it a little bit. I was surprised to find that the magic 1800rpm 'peak efficiency' is right at the top end of the ECO bargraph on the HSI, just at the transition to PWR.

I imagine this may change with coolant temp and state of charge? I will of course find out on my own.

And I managed to turn off the stupid reverse beep! That was a painful exercise in early computer science.

2 people like this.
  16. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The thing is, a standard glide will use the battery even though the car indicates that it's not, so you can never get 1 amp while gliding, except you can get close in neutral with the car slowing more. A standard foot-induced glide with headlights off you'll see range from 2.0 amps (at 20 mph), but usually around 5 or 6. With headlights off still, I've even seen it up at 7 amps. The car seems to adjust slightly on uphills during a glide, I believe actually giving a hair more juice when it notices speed slowing on an uphill, and uses less going downhills.

Brett, using a neutral glide will use less energy, but you will slow considerably more than a normal glide, so they're good for downhills or when you don't want to conserve momentum for whatever reason.

I also like BTA for amps much more than SOC. SOC you can already approximate from battery display, and BTA is essential to make sure if you want a slight thrust at 25 mpg, let's say, that you're doing it with 6 amps and not 20. I do use SOC down a big hill when I want 80% charge, though, to make sure I'm on track for a temporary EV experience :)

17. Ferls80

Ferls80 Performing some hypermiling techniques.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say that a 1200 rpm acceleration is different than a 1800 rpm acceleration. In the first case I think it's usually annoying for cars following behind, even if in high traffic conditions it's absolutely acceptable.
    In an 1200 rpm pulse you'll find the HSI filled up the middle.
    A 1800rpm acceleration is a good acceleration, acceptable in the most cases in my urban and suburban trips. Here, HSI is filled for the 75-85%. Anyway it's still not enough when you have to get into an highway: in this condition pwr zone is highly recommended.

Absolutely right. I find myself gliding in a 2 or 6 amps range, some part of the energy is needed for electronic car devices.

1 person likes this.