1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

driving with passenger seat removed?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by gjertsen, Aug 12, 2010.

1. gjertsen

gjertsen Junior Member

I know it's possible to remove the front passenger seat, because I did it last night. But because I disconnected three wiring plugs (one yellow, one grey, and one black) the Prius doesn't turn on without lighting nearly every warning light on the dashboard, and not allowing me to change gears and drive it at all.

I'm trying to open up as much space as possible for large cargo on a specific trip, and I'd really like to know if there's any way to work around these startup errors.

2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    (one yellow, one grey, and one black)

Yellow is the airbag line. Car is getting no signal from the airbag so it thinks there is a break in the line. This gets the computer all hot and bothered. Normal patch for this is to put a resistor between the two wire so it thinks it is seeing an airbag. Don't know what strength resistor.

One of those others should be a seat sensor to tell if anyone is sitting in the seat. Don't know if it is normally open or normally closed.

The third one should be a seatbelt sensor that knows if the belt is buckled. So long as it thinks no one is in the seat, the airbag line is the ony one I expect you need to deal with.

I'm trying to open up as much space as possible for large cargo

My experience has been that it is hardly worth your while to pull the bench part of the back seat. There's very little room down there.

Sezy likes this.
  3. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I used another 2 ohm resistor, same as used for the air bag, into the plug for the weight sensor.

From
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...7137-passenger-seat-sensor-disconnection.html
    (This is from an '04, which may differ from yours)

kenmce and Sezy like this.