1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving with the mechanical key?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by BNucks, Feb 20, 2014.

1. BNucks

BNucks New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm totally new to this forum! We have had a 2008 Prius for six years now. Last week my husband lost his keys, and along with it the smart key. The dealership quoted him $350 for the replacement (we are in the Los Angeles/SGV area) for the smart key, but said that they can make him a mechanical key for $24. We went with the mechanical key and were surprised last night to find that it was just the little key that comes off of the side of the fob. As far as my research has shown me this morning, the only thing that key can do is open the driver side door.

Does anyone know if there is a way that this key can drive the car? And, if not, is there such a thing as a replacement key for under $350? Ouch, Toyota!

Thank you :)

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Do you still have the second fob? If so, you can get a replacement for cheaper than the dealer and program it yourself. The directions should be in the owner's manual, or on this site somewhere else.

If both fobs are gone, you'll have to go through the dealer to get them programed. You save some cash by getting a non-SKS fob that goes into the slot on the dash. From there you then try reprogramming a non-dealer SKS fob yourself.

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No you can't drive the car with the mechanical key.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

If you have lost both original key fobs you'll be in for a shock in getting replacement keys. The entire immobilizer system has to be changed out to the tune of over $1000.

The little mechanical key will not start your car. It's only to open the door. At $24, it's outrageous.

If you still have 1 original key fob, you can make a duplicate by ordering a new key fob through various Toyota dealers online (best price). I was able to get my last key from camelback Toyota in AZ for $103.xx, they offer free shipping if you purchase $150 or more....so buy some other things you may need for free shipping.

Programming is pretty easy, many threads here will show you how to do it. Toyota charging $150 to program the key is crazy. If you need help in doing the programming, I also live in the SGV, I can possibly help you with programming it for free.

5. BNucks

BNucks New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your help! We still have my key thankfully, so I will look online for a replacement fob :)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! check around with locksmith's, some can make a fob cheaper than the dealer. also, pm member 'ovni', he may be able to help you with programming a fob from ebay. all the best!(y)