1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving your Prius for FUN ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Charles Suitt, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've enjoyed many new (and "new to me") cars through a good many years and it's always nice to enjoy something new - BUT! - I find myself driving my Prius for the sheer joy and fun of experiencing all this great technology working together. Not just that, but I'm saving $$$ in fuel costs and making a contribution to keeping our planet a bit cleaner. I may even be guilty of "inventing" errands and other "reasons" to drive my Prius.

Any other of you Prius addicts feel the same-?

2. rflagg

rflagg Member

Haha, Charles, yes indeed, I'm guilty of this too.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I'm driving my dream car. I have no want for any other vehicle even if money was no option - and there's no 'buyer remorse' that can sometimes happen, either.

When I get in the car now days to show it off to someone 'new', I'm usually at a loss of where to start with the neat features - but they usually fix that real quick by saying 'oh wow, what's that??'.

:)

-m.

3. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hehehe, You bet. Even when I'm on the Goldwing, which IS my hardcore playtoy, I find myself thinking about what kind of fuel economy numbers the Prius would have posted on the roads I'm travelling. :crazyeyes:

4. pepa

pepa New Member

I used to hate my 72 mile one-way commute.
    I can't wait to get on the road now :)

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pepa\";p=\"56535)</div>
    I felt the same way about my 36 mile one way commute. Now I only have to stop for gas once a week. And soon, I move 10 miles closer.

On a side note, what's up with all the cat avatars?

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I applied for a job where i get to drive between 100 and 200 miles a day... because i enjoy driving my prius :)

the voice command and i have bonded very well. you learn about the command only working on certain screens and such very quickly.. well.. after aproximetly 40 and 100 voice commands a day... it becomes second nature with 0 errors

7. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26\";p=\"56630)</div>

Because cats are cool!! 8) :mrgreen:

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok i admit, i volunteer for driving assignments that i never would have before.

and yes, when i first got my car and other Priuses were few and far between, i did some driving simply to show off the car.

now that i see several Priuses a day, i dont drive to show off much anymore, but i do sit and wonder if anyone i see is a member of priuschat...

9. tntna

tntna New Member

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My subdivision is pretty much a closed loop with a maze of inlay roads. There are some very nice homes. In other words, people who can afford very nice cars if they choose.

During the warmer months, after I've driven home, I will add about ten minutes to my drive and stealth around the subdivision. I roll down all he windows and turn off the radio. The way I see it, I'm not only loving the absolute silence of battery propulsion, I'm showing Priapus off to the home owners. Many times there are couples or families walking around. Maybe, just maybe, when it's time for their next car, they will remember seeing me cruise around town.

11. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I love driving my '51 Ford pickup, and of course the looks I get in it... but since I got the Prius the pickup just sits.. I swore that I wouldn't let that happen...ooooops

Bob Andersen

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I do like driving this car and invent trips to drive it. I feel less guilty than I would driving my old Ford Explorer. I do wish the suspension was a bit stiffer. My big contest now is trying to get my gas milage up to the summer levels.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry henry, but the gas you are using is starting off with about 10% less power... so if you got EPA in the summer, the best you can hope for is probably 50 mpg unless you have a radical change in driving...

i thought about it, but sooner or later, i'll get dinged for not stopping for red lights anymore.

14. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ah, but Dave.... if no cop sees you run a red light, did you really run a red light? :mrgreen:

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I refuse to submit. I will make 10% less more. "Less is more" 200 points to the person who identifies the quote.

16. tag

tag Senior Member

Robert Browning

17. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I found this somewhere.. think Tony S posted it first..BUT it fitting, I think:

Know You're a Real Hybrid Owner When . . .

• 49.9 is not the same as 50.1 when it comes to miles per gallon.

• You lean forward going up hills instead of hitting the gas.

• You're not out of gas until the low-fuel light has been on for about 80 miles.

• You memorize topographical maps of your daily drive.

• You won't run errands unless they are more than 50 miles away so you don't hurt your average.

• While you don't mind showing friends your hybrid, you'd rather not drive them around because the extra weight might lower your gas mileage.

• You have a perfectly good air conditioner but refuse to use it unless you're going downhill.

• You gleefully buy the cheap gas.

• You post your gas mileage online.

Bob Andersen

18. Peking Duck

Peking Duck Junior Member

Of course my nine year old daughter thinks stealthing around supermarket parking lots to make people jump is a stupid sport

19. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What?! It's not a stupid sport! It's an awesome sport! I got quite a bang out of doing that while renting a Prius on my trip.... :mrgreen: Stealth is the best feature.....

20. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't intentionally scare people. But shame on them for simply listening for cars and not actually looking to see if something ten times and big as they are is coming at them.

I enjoy stealthing through parking lots because of the looks I get when the car moves but there's no sound. Or when the engine shuts off. Just today, driving around looking for a parking spot, I stopped to let some pedestrians cross and Priapus shut off. A couple of them sort of gave that confused dog look. Totally changes the concept of your car "running"; I've tried to starting saying that Priapus is "on".