1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DRL mod for Canada

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by glennchoi, May 15, 2007.

1. glennchoi

glennchoi New Member

I am about to import a 07 Prius Touring (Pkg#6) from US to Canada.

The only mod that I need to get done to be able to register the car in Canada is the DRL.
    But, I am worried because there were some posts about DRL not possible with HID headlights.

Is this true? Can anyone who has imported a HID-headlight Prius to Canada share their experience? Was it possible? Where did you get the DRL mod done?

Thanks in advance,

Glen in Vancouver

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think RIV authorised Canadian Tire to do the DRL mod.

You could either use the foglights (although it gets quite hot so I don't know if you'd like to leave them on every time the car's on). The other option I've seen is using the indicators. Our front indicators cover a fairly large area so I'm sure they're visible from whatever required distance DRLs are supposed to be visible.

3. CinciPrius

CinciPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't live in Canada but I've added turn signal based DRLs to my 2005 Prius and have been very happy with the results. I like the yellow DRL effect much better than the often glaring high beam DRLs.

I got the DRL kit from http://www.webelectricproducts.com/. The installation is very simple. I've got a Word document that shows the specific wires you need to connect to on the Prius. I've posted the document on Prius Chat before and would be happy to email it to you.

I shared the document with another Canadian Prius Chat member who imported a US Prius and used the Web Electric DRL module. I haven't heard from him since he imported so I don't know if it passed the Canadian inspection. I emailed him tonight and I'll post a note here when I hear back from him.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CinciPrius @ May 16 2007, 07:23 PM) [snapback]443849[/snapback]</div>
    ahhh, it was you who posted the indicator DRLs. I remember a red Prius, I forgot who it was. Sorry!

5. CinciPrius

CinciPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got a response back from the Prius Chat member who used the Web Electric DRL module on his imported Prius. He states:

"The installation worked out fine. I passed the Canadian inspection
    without issue. I configured the unit to operate in non-syncronized mode,
    which operates the same as many GMC and other vehicles sold in Canada.
    After I completed the DRL module installation, I just took the car to
    Canadian Tire with the appropriate documentation (Form 1 from the RIV, etc.)
    for the inspection. There were no issues."

6. glennchoi

glennchoi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CinciPrius @ May 17 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]444089[/snapback]</div>
    Great, thank you very much for the information! I will probably go with your suggestion.

Cheers
    Glen

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    what's a DRL?

8. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ May 17 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]444531[/snapback]</div>
    Daytime Running Lights

9. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I imported from US also, but i didnt spring for the Halogens (also cause i heard the HID - DRL was difficult). I regret a bit not looking more into the turn signal drl thing. Not much advice to give, since if you've gotten this far, you're probably almost done. Congrats to saving tons!

I had my drl done at a dealer. After that, it was smooth sailing through the RIV and BC inspection (yes, even if its brand new, you need the provincial inspection).

DO NOT GO TO REGENCY TOYOTA - i was really unhappy with them.

Yay to Canadians not getting raped by Toyota Canada.

And yay to Vancouver, since i'm here too.

Glen, did you get yours in WA?

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arbitrage @ May 17 2007, 11:17 PM) [snapback]444689[/snapback]</div>
    BC inspection is done at ICBC?

11. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 17 2007, 11:20 PM) [snapback]444692[/snapback]</div>
    BC inspection can be done at any authorized mechanic i think.
    My insurance agent gave me an ad for a mechanic.
    Canadian Tire can also do it the same time/right after the RIV inspection (i got CND tire to the provincial too, but only after they agreed to do it for close to the advertised mechanic, ~80).

Prices vary widely for the BC inspection, so shopping around is good.

12. glennchoi

glennchoi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arbitrage @ May 18 2007, 01:17 AM) [snapback]444689[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I am getting mine in WA. As you know, the savings you get by not buying in Canada is several thousand $s, definitely worth the bit of trouble it takes to import. I don't know why Prius in Canada are priced so high compared to US. And the no-discount/no-haggle policy of Toyota Canada makes the situation worse, although Toyota Canada is pretending that this policy helps the consumers! A joke, I say.

I just ordered the DRL module from webelectricproducts.com as recommended by CinciPrius. I still have to pick up the Prius from the WA dealer (next week). I hope the import process goes smoothly.

Cheers,
    Glen

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richappa @ May 17 2007, 11:52 PM) [snapback]444705[/snapback]</div>
    It's just BC dealers. You can haggle in other provs.

14. wooha2000

wooha2000 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CinciPrius @ May 16 2007, 08:23 PM) [snapback]443849[/snapback]</div>

Hi could you send me instructions. I have purchased the same kit from webelectic.

Thanks

15. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wooha2000 @ May 25 2007, 11:22 AM) [snapback]449955[/snapback]</div>
    I'd appreciate a copy of the instructions also. I might want to do this mod in the future.

Thanks

16. CinciPrius

CinciPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arbitrage @ May 29 2007, 01:34 AM) [snapback]451336[/snapback]</div>

I've uploaded a copy of instructions for installing the Web Electric Products turn signal based DRL module into the File Library. Follow this link: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=34569

17. glennchoi

glennchoi New Member

Hi all

I finally installed the WebElectric DRL last night on my new 07 Touring, and passed the Federal & BC inspection at Canadian Tire this morning without any problem whatsoever.

The installation went very smoothly (Thanks to CinciPrius' excellent instructions!!)

BTW, the wire colors described in Cinci's document matched my 07 Touring's wiring exactly.

Glen

18. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richappa @ Jun 14 2007, 09:49 PM) [snapback]462128[/snapback]</div>
    Nice! I'll have to get this sometime - the 100% headlights on thing is really getting irritating (since it night modes the instrument panel - forcing me to click the speedo brightness to full).
    A little disappointed I didnt get HID lights now :( (i didnt get them cause i thought they would make the whole drl experience very difficult)

19. tharvey

tharvey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have done quite a few DRL's for Fiero's and I always use the Webelectric mod.

I did so many that I put the complete modification into the harness at the front, works great with the exception of heat.

I recently drove to las vegas from Vancouver and noted that the heat of keeping the 27 watt bulb illuminated all the time distorted and melted both of the front turn signal housings.

Needless to say after replacing them with LED turn signals the current draw is so low that the gm light failure light indicator comes on.

I could add resistance to get it to go out, however I choose to ignore the constantly illuminated turn signal lights.

Does the prius do the same.

I am asking this as I want to sell my big truck and fiero and down size to an 08 or 09 prius which I will import from the US

tim

20. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    [

"I've uploaded a copy of instructions for installing the Web Electric Products turn signal based DRL module into the File Library. Follow this link: "
    http://priuschat.com/forums/file-library/33563-turn-signal-drl-installation-instructions.html

Thanks for your nice work. From the link;

Once you’ve gotten everything connected, put the car in either IGN-ON or READY mode. Both front turn signals should turn on as DRLs. Turning on the parking lights should make both DRLs turn off. Turn the parking lights back off and both DRLs should turn on after about 2-3 seconds. Turn on one of the turn signals and that side should start flashing normally. Turn off the turn signal and the DRL should turn back on after 2-3 seconds. Do the same test on the other side to make sure it works correctly. Turning the car off should make both DRLs turn off.

Just curious, when a turn signal is flashing, is the other side on or off.
    ( I'd prefer that it be off). Thanks in advance. I'll probably get it.