1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DRM Conversion?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by FranklinS, Feb 25, 2013.

1. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any recommendations for DRM conversion software. Figure getting a jump drive to plug into the USB is the way to go.

2. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure what DRM software is. If you are looking to rip CD's and/or convert files from one format to another, i highly recommend dbpoweramp (dBpoweramp: CD Ripper & Audio Converter. Secure ripping to mp3, FLAC, m4a, Apple
    Lossless & WMA
    ). It does a great job of ripping and testing your rips against a database for accuracy.

I ripped my CD collection to .flac format for archiving purposes to keep the high fidelity and help future proof my files as technology changes. If I want to reduce file size or play on a unit that doesn't support .flac, I'll rip them to MP3 format. The software comes bundled with a product that does batch converting. You essentially choose the files you want to convert, the format, where you want them saved and hit go.

FranklinS likes this.
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    DRM = Digital Rights Management aka copy protection

FranklinS likes this.
  4. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The DRM is the limited copy protection used in some cd's movies, Amazon MP3, (Rhapsody and Zune, I believe). It limits the amount of copies that can be burned. I have a number of Amazon MP3's and I am limited to 5 copies.. It sounds like a lot until you figure that I have 3 computers, two cars, a mp3 payer. If the a drive fails I have nothing. Will I still have the same devices in 5 years? It is legal to bypass the DRM if you are not selling or giving away the copies (ie. Fair Use).
    The standard audio in the model 2 allows for file recognition/play in USB mode. I do like the FLAC idea. I will save my Amazon MP3's to a thumb drive to use in the Prius.
    I just started using Aimersoft DRM Media Converter on a trial for my AmazonMP3's. Works OK so far. Albums and tracks show up with names and can play through steering wheel controls. Still have to try my CD's and maybe Zune or Rhapsody. May try Daniusoft and SoundTaxi.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Uhh... copy protection on Amazon's MP3 files? I think you're wrong on that. What's limiting you on the # of copies that can be burned? I have a bunch of free and paid for MP3s from Amazon. I don't see how they could copy protect them if they're MP3 format. If they were some other proprietary format, yes, they could.

With respect to Zune Music, yes, some of it is DRMed.

6. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was thinking that is what was meant. I have experienced it with movies and use AnyDVD to remove it. I wasn't aware it was an issue with music as well (I guess I'm still old school buying discs rather than MP3).