1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dropped Bolt

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jk823, Apr 14, 2016.

1. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I was removing the MFD in my 2009 Prius to get it fixed by Autobemine.com and as I was taking out one of the two 10mm bolts that secure it to the dash, the bolt slipped out of my hands and fell... landing, well, somewhere behind the dash. I didn't see where it fell and I can't see where it is now so here's my question. If I just go buy another bolt to replace it at the home depot or something so I can rescure the MFD properly, is there any risk to having an errant bolt hiding out somewhere in my dash? Should I try taking apart the whole radio and front panel to look for it? (I was hoping that I could hear it rattling around when I'm driving, but I've yet to hear anything...)

Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Thanks in advance!
    John

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to say for sure, but i don't see where it could be a problem. did you try one of those magnet thingy's?

3. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's a magnet thing?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a long springy arm with a magnet on the end, to fish out metal objects from places you can't reach.

5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    bisco likes this.
  6. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got one of these magnets and tried to find the missing bolt for about 5-10 minutes before giving up. Steve Woodruff at AutoBeMine.com said I'm not the first person that has happened to and didn't seem overly concerned. I don't hear the bolt rattling around when I drive so I doubt it'll be easy to locate beyond taking the whole dashboard apart. Since it doesn't seem like it'll cause any damage, I might just leave it alone now that I have a properly functioning MFD installed.