1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dropped calls - Lame Cell Phone or Lame Provider?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Codyroo, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but it seems a chicken and egg scenario to me....

Situation - I'm waiting for my son's football practice to end. I'm in a school yard - open field, sitting in a chair - not moving.

1. My phone will show 4 or 5 bars, and sometimes the call won't connect, I get a "Call Failed" message.

2. My phone does connect, and 2-3 minutes later, the call is dropped (did I mention I was sitting down/not moving).

3. I'll be seeing 3 bars, but when I dial and send the number out to connect, I'll drop to 0 or 1 bar and eventually I'll get a call failed message.

Is it a lame phone I have? Is it the provider? Is it both?

2. gman11377

gman11377 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ya know, I asked my father that same question once upon a time (He was Senior Telecommunications Technician for Southern Co). His answer put it in perfect clarity for me. See the readout on the cell phone that shows the "bars", that is a measure of how well the phone is receiving from the tower, it doesn't actually measure how well the tower can receive from the phone. The cell phone is essentially an advanced encrypted "cell-based" radio. The call placed depends on how well a)the tower can talk to your phone and b)your phone can talk to the tower. There are actually places where you can have a perfect signal and your phone can't connect to the tower. Hope this helps.

3. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ive had Sprint for a many years.
    First I had a cheap $50 Kyocera phone that never dropped calls.
    I needed internet access so I went with Palm Treo 600 .Very bad with dropping calls in remote areas.
    I went to Palm 700p with no improvement.
    Im now with a Palm 800w and I dont think Ive had a dropped call yet.
    Same carrier but the phones had vastly different reception.

4. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    my opinion is that it is Sprint
    Sprint is like a bend in time-space
    it may take days for a voice mail to reach me--and often i am sitting next to the phone--with zero ringing while people are calling----
    an imperfect form of communication regardless of the cost of the phone i think------
    but what did we do without them?
    Froley

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It could be either - try some googling for your cell phone model. I know some model's out there do have antenna/software issues that cause them to drop calls when they shouldn't. I think gman put it best - the call is a two way street, and both have to be working well for the call to not be dropped.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Look at it this way: In many locations there is only one choice for service, even if the area is covered by many providers. This is because one company will typically own the spectrum for a given area and given technology. Everyone else simply pays to use their towers.

If you find yourself in this situation, the only variable that you control is the cell phone. In that case, upgrading the phone is the only viable option.

Keep in mind that the price of a phone is not a good indicator of power and sensitivity. There are many trade-offs in cell phone design. Often range will be sacrificed for smaller size and other features. Do some research online before upgrading to another phone.

Tom